1.6

{Luke}.

I left the door open, standing just outside the room able to hear everything Delilah said. After around 20 or so minutes later, she walked out the room, her eyes red and puffy from crying. Ashton stood up, pulling her into a warm embrace before he entered Calum's room, ready to speak to his best friend.

"You alright?" I asked her, to which she nodded in reply, forcing a smile onto her face as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

"How about we go for a little walk?" She suggested sounding hopeful to distract herself. I nodded and stood up, following her as she led the way.

Before long, we found ourselves at the cafeteria of the hospital. Thankfully it wasn't busy, though there were quite a few people there for a time as late as 11pm. I couldn't even remember the last time I properly ate something and my guess was that it was the same Delilah.

We ventured over to look at what food they had to offer, none of it seeming to appetising. Maybe I just wasn't hungry, or maybe the whole experience was making me feel too sick to digest much. In the end, Delilah and I decided to share a sandwich, but grabbing a drink each for ourselves.

We found a clean table towards the back of the cafeteria, away from the few preoccupied ones. We sat down and both picked at the food, forcing ourselves to eat it so we weren't sick. After a while, we began to get stuck into light conversation.

"How's you family doing?" Delilah asked me, stirring her hot chocolate with a plastic spoon.

"They're alright. Mum's worried about Calum though. They all are." She nodded vacantly after I spoke.

"What about yours?" I asked cautiously, not knowing too much about her family having never met them.

"Mum's alright. She offered to come over but I convinced her to stay. She can't really afford to have much time off work."

As effortless as the conversation seemed, it was nice not to talk directly about Calum for a while. I could tell Delilah felt the same as for the first time in a while she didn't seem so tense. By the end of the conversation, we had even managed to make each other laugh a bit. Needless to say, we had both distracted our hearts for a little while, feeling the ache in our chests shrink the slightest.

-

Please comment so I have an idea of how my writing is.