Chapter 十九

Christopher’s View. ▲ †

One thing’s for sure—Mia still had her infamous love for hot chocolate.

After leaving the spa, we walked a few blocks to a local coffee spot. We sat at the back of the place, sipping on hot chocolate and munching on French pastries.

“I just haven’t seen you in so long, Chris. It’s crazy.” Mia laughed. She definitely grew up—she used to be a petite, skinny girl. Now, everything about her was voluptuous.

“I know. You look so different.” I mumbled.

“Me? You as a whole are different! You went from being our shy Christopher to this amazing Frank Ocean guy.” Mia said. I couldn’t help but notice the way her leg rested on mine under the table. It wasn’t too obvious, but just enough for me to acknowledge.

“I like to think of myself as the same Chris.” I smiled at her. Her hair was much longer now—it cascaded down her back, strands upon strands of dirty blonde softness. Her lips seemed to have blown up, too. They were plump (just like other parts of her) and stretched out in a perfect way every time she smiled.

Yes, she was attractive.

“You aren’t, though.” Mia placed a hand on mine. “You’ve changed for the better.”

I squeezed my legs together, trying hard not to let her arouse me. I looked down and thought of anything that I could say, just to break the silence. And then I remembered the sole reason I was so thrilled to have met Mia.

“So, have you heard from Forrest?” I asked her hesitantly.

“Who?” Mia asked, her expression changing from seductive to confused. Then I realized the mistake I made.

“Oh, I mean Roshon. Have you heard from Roshon?”

Mia looked away from me then. She gazed out of the window behind me, a glassiness forming in her eyes. I couldn’t tell whether she was tearing up or if there was another emotion hidden behind her hazel orbs. Either way, it was intriguing. I stayed silent just as she did, not wanting to break the strange moment we were engaged in. Mia looked at me finally, and her expression softened. It wasn’t hard to tell by now that she was on the brink of crying.

“I miss him,” she said, barely any sound escaping her lips. I would have held her, but I still felt forbidden to disturb the atmosphere of the situation. I just sat there and watched as she sucked on her bottom lip and looked straight into my eyes.

“I’ve tried everything, from old friends to the Navy entry list. I can’t find him anywhere. The only conclusion I can come to is…I think he’s dead, Christopher.” Mia’s words slid off her tongue in a certain cautious manner, as if she were carefully choosing her words. It amazed me how her tears continued to fill up the brim of her eyes, but none fell.

She wiped her eyes and sniffled, breathing in and out to refresh herself. I closed my mouth, suddenly realizing that it had been draped open the whole time. Mia wasn’t exactly back to her seductive persona, but she was definitely close. I smiled at her to get a smile in return, and succeeded.

“I feel that way sometimes too, Mia.” I said, holding onto her hand tightly. “It’s hard not to think about him every living second, honestly. But I have faith I’ll see him one day.”

It’s hard not to think about him every living second, honestly.

It’s only gotten so hard recently. Before, Ajahni was all that was on my mind. I winced in frustration at the constant battle that was always going on in my mind between Ajahni and Forrest. I made a vow to myself that I would never let any of them take a bigger seat of importance to me, but Forrest seemed to be sliding into that seat.