Chapter 三十

Ajahni’s View

My comfy motel was turning out good for me. There was a Starbucks down the block and daily free food give-outs, allowing my nonstop access to the food I was craving. The food at Cedar Gardens just wasn’t cutting it, and my hunger was now waking up from its long slumber.

So I sat on my bed watching The Nanny, just like I did back at the home, and thought about a lot of things. I wondered if there was any hope of the girls getting out anytime soon. I mean, were there disorders and sicknesses progressing or regressing? It would seem that they were due out in no time, since they all appeared very normal to me. The doctors at the institution should recognize that.

I also thought about the fact that as soon as Lucas came in, I had gotten out. Maybe if I was there a little longer with him, I could help him get better. I could have cured him with friendship. But now his curing was up to the doctors and therapists, I guess. He would be in my prayers, if I ever got around to praying again.

Lastly, I remembered my meeting with Darcelle. I was trying my best to believe that she really would find Christopher for me, but it was hard to have faith in something like that after going through so much to find him myself. So instead of thinking of that, I thought of the possibility that maybe she could try to find Hodgy for me, too. I’d like to fix things with him, to decide where we are romantically. He’s a really nice guy, and I would like to let myself love him, but I’m still so attached to Christopher…I don’t know.

In the meanwhile though, I would have to just wait. Enjoy everything as I can, and wait.

Darcelle’s View

After my frightening meeting with Roshon, I could barely function at work. Fortunately, the store was slower than usual. Only one person had walked in all day by one o’ clock in the afternoon. Since Irene was doing what she normally does when the days are slow, I decided to engage myself in some side work. Ajahni’s work.

Instead of going about finding Chris the traditional way, all I had to do was call him. He left his phone number for me yesterday when he came by to see me. When I called, he didn’t pick up, so I texted him and told him to meet me at the kiddy playground down the block.

“Hold the store down while I’m gone,” I said to Irene. She didn’t even bother to answer, just slightly nod before I walked out of the door. There was no need to take in the setting of the day; it was just regular out, in-between temperature and a normal sky. When I hit the park, Chris was already there.

It was almost uncanny how he studied me the exact same way Roshon did last night. But instead of referring to me as his ‘rose’, all Chris said was ‘hi’.

“Long time no see,” I replied emotionlessly. He nodded awkwardly. That wasn’t his fault—this situation was actually awkward. The last time we saw each other was when I lost my virginity. Now that we’re face to face, it’s just weird.

“Yeah. Where were you yesterday?”

“At home, sick. I’m cool now though.”

“That’s good. Well I was looking for you to see if you could help me solve a mystery, but I think I just want to leave that alone now.” Chris explained.

“Oh. It seems like everyone wants my help now.” I murmured, not intending for Chris to hear. He did, though. But when he questioned me about it, I didn’t bother to shrug it off. I wanted him to know. He needed to know. Yesterday is not something you just take lightly.

So I told him everything that happened in pure detail, from why I went to the beach to the emotions I felt as Roshon gripped me. But I left out the part about Ajahni.  I felt some loyalty to Roshon. I felt that if I gave out the nature of our mission, he would find out and kill me. But it wouldn’t hurt to just let Chris know that he threatened to kill me if I didn’t work for him. Chris was genuinely surprised, and a little bit scared for me.

“I don’t know what to do,” I said. “If I work for him, I don’t know what he’ll want me to do for him.”

Of course, that was a lie. But Chris didn’t know that. “Damn. That’s…something.”

“Can you talk to him for me?” I asked seriously now. Chris looked up at me, sadness in his eyes. Ugh, those damn eyes.

“I really do want to. I’ve been looking for him so much. Yes, I want to talk to him.” He said, clearly reassuring himself of this as he said it.

“Well he thinks I’ll be meeting him at a Starbucks tomorrow night. I’ll give you the address. You can go for me.” I offered. Chris seemed to be fighting off a smile; his lips curved into an ever-so-subtle smirk, but his eyes were still sorrowful. Now I was more interested in what type of relationship Chris and Roshon shared in the first place. I remembered him telling me that they were roommates in a house with Roshon’s girlfriend, but it was the rushed ending of the story that I didn’t understand. For some reason, I don’t think the reason Chris left was because of his music. There has to be more to that.

“Thank you, Darcelle.”

“You’re welcome. You’re actually the one doing me the favor, anyway.”

“No, that’s not it,” Chris reassured me. He walked much closer to me, as if what he was about to disclose was a secret. “I thought you would be upset with me for what I did to you. I didn’t mean to use you that way.”

I knew then that Chris was talking about the one night stand incident between us. That explained the delicate embarrassment he had been displaying. He felt bad for it.

“That’s fine. I’m over that. We can still be friends, for sure. I’m not ready for a relationship either.” I said, taking his hand in a friendly manner. Chris smiled a smile of relief, and we shared a hug. The mood was light for now. But that’s only for now.

I don’t know what tomorrow night holds.