Chapter Five

My breathing starts to get heavy and I can't control the pain anymore. I start to sweat. It's running down my face.

I can't  take it anymore.

"Agh!" I groan as I clench Peeta's hand. "There's something wrong," I whisper.

Peeta squeezes my hand tightly, and I breathe slowly in and out.

"Just a few more minutes." He assures me.

As we get off the chariots, we rush straight to the infirmary.

"She's pregnant, and she needs help!" Peeta screams to a doctor. He looks at me with disbelief, before peeling my dress off of me to look at my child.

He rubs a cool liquid on my stomach, and begins to look.

"Um.." He says. "There's nothing wrong. You may just have occasional stomach pain. Here's some pre natal vitamins. We had them from when another girl was pregnant in the games. I guess the odds weren't exactly in her favor."

"Don't you dare say that to my wife! You're scaring her!" Peeta screams.

"Peeta, sweetie it's okay, calm down," I say as I rub is back.

"Come on, let's go back to our floor," he says.

We take small steps to the elevator . The pain is easing slightly. Peeta tries to make small talk, but I don't think it's worth it. I keep zoning out. All I can think about is that poor pregnant girl that died in the hunger games.

When we get back to our floor, Haymitch and Effie are infuriated.

"What the hell was that?!" Haymitch screams. "Why did you take off like that?"

Effie is just sitting at the table shaking her head.

"Katniss is not well," Peeta exclaims. "She was going to be sick, and she had terrible pain in her stomach."

I nod my head in agreement.

Effie stands up. "I can't keep this to myself anymore. I know the truth, Katniss."

"What?" I say.

"Your breasts are enlarging, you're gaining weight, you throw up every single morning, and you just left your chariot without permission because you had stomach pain.  Katniss, your pregnant."

Haymitch gives Effie a confused look. "What? She can't be!"

Peeta puts his arm around me and hugs me tight.

I am shaking and quivering, not able
to get any words out.

"Yes," Peeta answers. "Katniss is pregnant. We were trying to keep it a secret so Snow or anyone in the capital doesn't find out, but it's probably too late for that. That asshole of a doctor knows and he looks like the type to gossip."

I can't help but giggle a little at Peeta's gesture about the doctor, but I quickly snap back into reality.

I see tears run down Haymitch's eyes, and I immediately get mad.