Chapter Twenty Seven

December 20th

Peeta and I snuggle up in our living room by our fireplace, when I get a call from Alder.

"Hello?"

"Katniss, It's Alder!"

"Hey, Alder. Whats up?"

"Johanna is in labor!"

"Oh my gosh! Yay!"

"I wouldn't usually bother you, I'm sure you're busy, but she's 7 centimeters dialated, and she really wants you here."

"Peeta and I will be right there!"

"What was that about?" Peeta asks.

"We have to go! Johanna is in labor."

Peeta and I hurriedly get into the car, and we arrive at the hospital in about 20 minutes.

"Hi!" I say to the woman at the front desk. "Katniss and Peeta Mellark, here to see Johanna Mason!"

"She is in room 231."

"Thanks!" I say.

Peeta and I rush to the elevator, and we find room 231.

I find Alder standing outside.

"Hey," he says quietly. "I'm sorry I didn't call you sooner. He's here!"

"It's a he?! I say.

"Yes!" Alder says. "I think Johanna is breast feeding now, so Katniss, you can go in."

I knock on the door quietly, and then go in.

"Hey, girlie!" I say. "How's the little man?"

"Perfect." She says with a smile. "I can't even believe he's here."

"I'm so excited for you!" I say.

"Thanks, brainless!" She says in a perky tone.

"I know you just gave birth, but I'm not afraid to punch you," I say jokingly.

"Okay," she says with a giggle.

I begin to say something, but I feel light headed. I go to sit down, but the last thing I remember is completely passing out.

***

When my eyes flutter open Peeta is sitting in the chair opposite of my bed.

"W-what happened?" I ask.

"Hey," Peeta coos. He comes up to the side of the bed and strokes my hair. "You passed out. The doctor should be in shortly to see what's going on. It'll be okay," he assures me.

A few minutes later, a man that looks as if he is in his late thirties barges in.

"Hello, Katniss. I am Doctor Lujeck. We did some blood tests, and I can assure you that there is nothing wrong!"

"Oh, thank goodness." Peeta and I both say.

"I'm going to run through your blood tests, and I'll be right back." The doctor says as he leaves the room.

"I'm going to go get a coffee. Do you want anything?" Peeta asks 

"No, I'm fine. Thanks."

As Peeta leaves, the doctor comes back in.

"Okay, Mrs Mellark. We have some news!"

"What is it?" I ask.

"Well, it seems that your blood tests confirm your pregnancy, congratulations! You're expecting your little bundle of joy on July 20th."

It takes me a moment to process what he has just said.

"My pregnancy?" I ask.

"Yes! I saw from your files that it was unlikely, but I am 100 percent positive that you are about two months pregnant."

"Oh my gosh." I whisper to myself.

"Here is your first ultrasound. You are free to go whenever, just sign out!"

"Thank you so much." I say as I feel a tear trickle down my cheek.

When Peeta comes back, I hide the picture in my jacket. I want to get home right away. I need to tell him in the perfect way.

I sign out, and I run as fast as I can to our car.

"Do you mind picking something up at the store?" I ask.

"No problem," Peeta says as he pulls into a parking spot. Do you want me to go in?"

"No!" I assure him. I'll be right back.

I dash into the store, and grab a small box, wrapping paper, a bow, and a pregnancy test.

I check out, and hide the test in my bag also.

I get into the car, and Peeta looks at me suspiciously.

"What is the wrapping paper for?"

"Your Christmas gift, silly! Did you think I wasn't going to wrap it?"

"No," he says with a laugh. "I just forgot that Christmas was in less than a week."

I smile, and kiss him on the cheek excitedly.
___
Authors note:
Sorry for the long wait! I promise you won't have to wait that long Anymore