Chapter 3 - Painted hands

It was just an average day to start off with. I had gone to school, so had Seb with Jaz off to the Childminders , Dad had gone to work, Mum had too but had lunch plans with an old friend of hers from school, we were all in high spirits in the morning, Dad waving us goodbye as he stepped out into the world of work.

Insert cheesy music right? Yeah I know...but it was so calm, so happy and so relaxed.

So later, at around 3:40 in the afternoon I headed down to the cute little infant school that Seb attended, it was about ten minutes or so since school had ended and I was currently leant against a tree, my jaw-length hair shielding me from prying eyes as I scrolled through my text messages.

Dad- Hello, you don't happen to know where your Mother is do you? She's not picking up her phone.

Now take the time now to book mark that one simple text in your memory, pin point it, highlight, I honestly don't give a fuck, just remember it. Because that's how it all started.

I used to think that because of this little text message; that what happened over the next few months was all my thought, but I was only answering honestly. My councillor later explained and she was right because my Mum said the exact same thing later the same day.

So I replied - Yeah she's out with an old friend of hers.

Seems pretty simple right? Wrong apparently.

Well...yeah. It did to the Police when I explained everything to them, it did to the school councillor, it did to the more official councillor when the school councillor issued me and my family to them.

Seb and I returned home not long after, him telling me all about his exciting day and something about race cars I think. He raced ahead with a vrooming sound down the path as I took my time walking down the drive way. But Seb stopped in front of the door, not following through his usual action of jumping up the step and standing on his tip toes to ring the doorbell.

I frowned and quickened my pace to get closer to him.

"Seb. Sebastian. You alright there Bud?"

"Shh! I think...I think Mum and Dad are fighting, Matty" he stared at me, his lips trembling and I stared back. Forcing myself quickly to smile.

Mum and Dad never argued...not once...not ever.

Slightly panicked, I slid my key into the lock, pushing the door handle in. I pulled Seb behind me in a protective manner, which months later became such a force of habit you'd probably take me to be over protective, but I wasn't.

I pushed the door and stepped anxiously into the hallway, pulling Seb in behind me and shutting the door extremely quietly behind me. I stepped into the kitchen where Jaz was having a mini tantrum in the high chair, which for her was rare because for someone her age she was so well behaved. I scooped her up and rocked her, my body chilling from the screaming match coming from the next room. With Seb clinging to my leg and Jaz my hip I walked out into the open, into the living room.

I saw Dad swing his hand out and smack Mum straight across her face, yanking Mum's face to the side unpleasantly as she staggered back. I gasped, pressing my hand over Seb's face haphazardly, as I was concentrating on my parents, to conceal his innocent eyes, not worrying too much about Jaz as she has her head pressed into my shoulder.

Mum cradled her face in her hands, I could hear her crying as Das was fuming and yelling hard at her. I had never seen him like this before.

"YOU ARE LYING TO ME BETH" He screeched, face purple as he raised his hand again. "TELL ME THE FUCKING TRUTH, WHO IS HE?!"

How I stood there and watched is beside me, but I did have two very young children on me at the time.

The next thing I think terrified me the most.

My Mum lowered both her hands and with wide eyes held her palms out in front of her and my Dad stared too.

Because they were painted in blood and her nose was dribbling with it, mixing with the tears on her face and running down to her chin.

Then Mum looked up and met my eyes. I was shaking, Seb was sobbing into my leg, Jaz was continuing to cry into my shoulder.

"Matthew" she spoke simply, my Father turning round, raised hand still in the air.

I thought he would stop. I really did.

"Go to your room Matthew" he was trying to speak calmly to me, but his voice was shaking and unpleasant. "I don't want you to see this"

I stared at him once last time and then I dragged Seb up the stairs as fast I could, with Jaz now pressed to my chest, I had one single thing on my mind.

Even though he had seen all three of his children. He didn't seem to care was continuing to hurt my Mum.

And that was only the first day.