Chapter 30

Rick's POV

"We have one more semester till finals guys. Don't fall asleep just yet"

20 more minutes till class is over.
2 more classes left for today.
1 Dixon that could ruin everything.

Merle Dixon that is.

After the call from the hospital, I stood in shock before finally realizing that I had a class that I was running late for.

Why now?

Although, it has only been two weeks, Daryl and I have been doing well.
More than well.

He lived with me, which meant:
No worrying, no checking for hidden bruises.

No threat from his family.

Everything was calm.

Waking up with the warmth of the morning sun on my skin.
Turning, melting into the warm body from under me.

Smiling into the back of his neck realizing that him being in my arms wasn't just a dream.

The light kiss I would lay on the back of his pale shoulder.

Waking him up with kisses along his neck.
His chest.
His jaw.
His lips.

Softly kissing the healing bruises as if that will make them disappear.

Every morning.
I would wake to do this.

I smile, reminiscing about those early mornings.

Nothing will stop this from continuing.
Not anyone.
I wouldn't let it.

I figure, that telling Daryl about his brother when we get home was of course the best solution, I may think.
I am confident enough to think that Daryl wouldn't go back to his family.
His only one left.
The one that abandoned him when Daryl needed him most.

He would know that Merle isn't right for him and won't go back.

"Maybe he loves me enough"
I ponder, feeling myself go deeper into my thoughts of Daryl loving me enough to not let his brother ruin everything.

"Rick? Err.. Mr. Grimes?"

I dart my eyes to the soft southern voice amongst the seated - and yawning - students.

"You're more tired than us, Sir. Day dreaming and all"

The voice, coming from a young woman with short brunette hair in the middle of the room. Known for being outspoken.

"Maggie, I don't think that's-"

"If you're tired, that means you won't be able to teach us properly and you need your rest."

"As I was saying: I don't think that's gonna get you out of class. And I'm not tried, I was just... Thinking."

I smirk as I turn back to the black board.
I hear a roar of boos from behind me and I continue to smile at the chalk scribbled board in front of me.

"About what? Who? More importantly!"

"17 more minutes left guys"
I call, checking the ticking clock above me and rolling my eyes at her questions.

"We can make it!"

The classroom door opens just as I finish my sentence, revealing what seemed to be a more relaxed looking Daryl.

There was a small smile on his lips - which was weird considering that has never happened before whenever he is late.
Even to me.
His eyes some how brighter - even though they were covered by his overgrown hair, back straighter.
He even had both straps of his backpack on his shoulders - again, something he rarely does.