Chapter 5

"Ugh"

I moan into my pillow.

I could really just sleep for the whole day but I know that that won't happen.

I move my head from under the pillow. My eyes are half open and I could barely see out of them but I reach for my phone that was on the side table.

I slightly lift my head up from the pillow and look at my phone.

"Dammit!"

I already missed my first class, Ricks class. After the time that Rick and I had spent together, just talking and drinking coffee, I had really thought of him as being a friend, or something more.

I shake my head at the thought of this

"What the hell is happening to me?" I say under my breath

I get up onto my feet and walk to my open closet. My bedroom wasn't dirty but yes there was clothes on the floor and they weren't neatly folded into the dressers. It's not like anyone will be in here right? I put on jeans, grab a simple white T-shirt and put it on. I take out my mothers necklace that was hidden under the shirt and I kiss the chain. A Cherokee rose, my mom's favorite. She loved them so much. I begin to think about the time we spent at some farm out of Atlanta when I was a kid. I had picked out some random flowers that I thought my mother would find pretty and I gave them to her while she was sitting and knitting on the porch steps of the farm house.

I sigh. I grab my book filled bag from the floor and close the room door. I walk through the hallway, into the kitchen and pick out a granola bar from one of the cupboards. I take a bite out of it and leave the kitchen. I go to the front door of the house and pass by the living room. The tv was on and I smelt alcohol. He's here. My dad. I roll my eyes as I see him slummed over the long couch. I didn't want to bother, so I grabbed my light jacket and walked out the door to the bus stop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After I got off the bus that dropped me right in front of the school, I adjust my headphones into my ear and put my iPod onto shuffle. "Circles" by The Soft Moon came up and I smiled as I looked at the iPod. My brothers old one. The last time he came, he gave this to me and said 'this is real music! So listen and learn little brother'. I agreed with him, they were pretty good songs on there.

I crossed the road and entered into the back of the university building. The buildings here were so big and looked alike in this school that you couldn't really tell what exact place your in.

I walked halfway into the hallway of the wing, I passed classes that were still in session until I finally realized that I was in the wrong building, this is the math wing not tech!

"Dammit!"

Now I'm going to be late for my next class of course

I turn around into the direction where I came from and darted towards the exit door

"Hey!"

I slow down, was that meant for me?

"Daryl!"

I stop and take one headphone from my ear. I turn around to see Rick walking towards me. I suddenly feel my chest thumping.

"And where were you?"

He crosses his arms and raises his eye brow

"I uhh I just..."

I freeze and I clearly don't know what the hell I'm even trying to say to him. I just look at him. I see him getting confused at the long awkward silence.

"I'm sorry! I just...it's nothing, nothing happened"

I say and turn to walk but he rests his hand onto my shoulder

"Like what?"

"I said it's nothing, I just over slept"

I say with my back turned away from him

He moves so that he is now in front of me

I feel his blue eyes staring at me as I try to shift my gaze away from him. Eye contact wasn't my thing and it certainly wasn't with Rick

"I know I said that I'll be more of a friend than a teacher in our class but I have to say you can't just over sleep. You're in university now. It's not like you could rely on one of your classmates to teach you what I did today, could you?"

He says with a slightly stern voice then he softens it

"It's not like they'll teach as good as I do" he smirks and I give a light laugh

"Well of course not Rick, you're the best aren't you?"

"I agree that I am yes!"

He laughs

"Well I guess you need to go to your next class don't you? I don't want to hold you up"

"You're not...trust me"

"I still don't wantt you late for another class"

He then pats my shoulder and walks pass me

"And hey"

I turn to see him, walking to the other direction but backwards

"Yeah" I say softly

"Make sure to come to my room by 3. I'd like to talk to you about the things you've missed, if that's okay?"

"Yeah, uhh...three's fine"

"Okay!"

He smiles and turns around

"I'll be waiting"

He says and he continues walking

I lift up my head and smile to myself, someone actually practically wanting to meet with me and it has nothing to do with some petty fight or whatever...

Ricks just...he's just something else