Chapter 31

*mature scenes ahead. also read more at the end of the chapter. Thank you*

Rick's POV

He collapsed onto me and we both slumped down to the floor of the empty classroom.

He shook as I held him against myself.
His head tucked under mine, his hands gripped on my forearm like a life line.

"What happened? Daryl, talk to me, please."
I tried to say calmly yet I trembled as well as I worried for him.

He sniffled underneath me, droplets of his tears splashed onto my sleeve as I moved him closer against my chest.

"Daryl-"

"He- Merle, he... Uh-"
Daryl struggled to speak.
I kissed the top of his head, reassuring him that everything was alright, - even though it clearly wasn't - that he could talk to me.
He then coughed and motioned to wipe his tears before spoke again.

"Merle, son-of-a-bitch was here. He... Uh, asked for me by the main office I'm guessing, he got the information to the classes I take here. That's how he..."

"What else happened?"
I prompted him after he paused.

He took a deep breath in and shook his head subtly.

"He waited by the door of the class I was coming out of. Trying to surprise me."
Daryl attempted to laugh at how ridiculous Merle was being yet it just came out even more sad then it needed to be.

"He hugged me. Mother fucker hugged me like nothing even happened. So carefree."

Daryl snorted.

"Does he know? About what happened with your-"

"I don't think so"
He said simply.

I slightly winced at his answer which he's seemed to make it worse.
Yet I continued anyway because I didn't know what else to say.

"Didn't you say you missed him?"
I asked quietly but calmly.

He exhaled heavily then kept quiet for what felt like awhile.

I didn't want to rush him for an answer, so instead we sat on the floor of the dimming classroom.

No sound except for our two breaths, mine calm and his uneven and hitched as I assumed he was still crying, yet he tried to hide it.

"I do," He answered with almost a mumble, "I just didn't know he'll come that soon. If only I knew y'know."

I shut my eyes.
I was kicking myself for not telling Daryl what the hospital told me as soon as I saw him today.
I would have saved him a little heart ache.

"I would have been ready. Probably wouldn't have done that to that kid earlier. Sorry about tha-"

"Don't."

"Don't?"
He repeated, he then sat up which made my arms fall from around him.

He was now seated in front of me, looking at me with questioning eyes.

"The apology shouldn't be towards me."

"I know. But you shouldn't have seen me like that."

I waved my hand if to say 'it doesn't matter'.
I wanted to change the subject, I couldn't handle it.

It wasn't like I've known that Merle was here for months - I only knew for a day - yet I told Daryl, promised him that I wouldn't do that to him.

Make him feel like he probably does now.