When the Lights go out

Verity's POV

I'm my own worse critic when it comes to the way I look, my thighs a too big, my arms are too wobbly, ahhh. Maybe I should go back to my old hobby and tone up, the only reason I dropped it was because, every boy I liked was scared of me. Nobody's perfect. Ding! The door bell called to me to open it, but I wasn't ready, what if it's Joe? Come Verity man up! 'Hey!' Why am I shouting he is deaf. I cant help, but stare at his perfect hair, eyes, smile and well everything. Shit! He probably thinks I'm a weirdo I've been staring for longer than I should. Snap out of it V! 'come in, make yourself at home!' I'm still shouting why? By the time he leaves he'll might as well be deaf. 'James, Joe is here' James comes round the corner and greets Joe the typical bro way, it looks like James has dropped any grudge he had on Joe before hand. I timidly sat on the sofa and was joined by Joe soon after, his arm was stretched out along the back and as I lean back I can feel it at the top of my neck.

'So who's coming tonight?' Joe asked the question that I've been thinking for the last 30 minuets. I haven't seen James' friends in 2 years, so it will be good to catch up with them, in secondary school I was always that girl who hung around with the boys and James' friends where those boy's. When I moved in with Riley I lost contact with them, because Riley was too possessive, even more than Josh. 'Owen, Cameron, Callum, Kyle and Jamie' the names listed made me smile and to my surprised it made Joe smile too. I realized in that moment that the Joe that popped up in most conversations with James about his friends, was this Joe. James lived in Bath with my Dad, when I was with mum in Thailand, that's how they know each other, wow it is a small world. I caught eye contact with Joe and our stare begun to deepen as we begun to flirt.

Ding! I rushed to the door and opened it to find five very familiar faces standing in the door way, 'Verity!' They all screamed in unison, I giggled and they all picked me up and they threw me up and down and I couldn't help, but burst in to a fit of laughter. They placed me down and we exchanged hugs , 'wow, what happen to the tom boy that we once knew?' asked Callum, I blushed as he looked at me stunned. ' A lot can happen in two years boys' I replied with confidence as I sat back down on the sofa, with a great big smile on my face. I guess I have changed, my hair is longer and back to it's natural, dark brown colour. I looked around and I realized tonight is going to be such a good night. Almost remarking on my thoughts, James put cards against humanity on the table in front of us. We all got in to pairs; Joe with Callum, Cameron with Kyle, Owen with Jamie and of course, James with me.

We won for the first time in like forever, I guess everyone was just having a bad day. When 21 dares begun I knew that I would probably end up getting most dares, the last time we played this I ended up going round the neighbors house and telling them my fake life story that Kyle made up for me. Thankfully they moved away so I wouldn't have to face them again, although there was that awkward time in Tesco when I bumped in to them. '21' why me? I swear this game is rigged, the boys didn't hesitate to give me a nicer dare than usual. 'You have to wear your stitch onesie for the rest of the night' I relax and go in to my bedroom to get changed. I come out the the room filled with giggles and I did my amazing stitch impression. 'Ohana means family, family mean nobody gets left behind or forgotten.' They fell it fits of laughter, my normal party trick is impressions. 'Joe, can you do better than that?' I remember watching one of Joe's impression videos, he's really good at them. 'No, mate, I'm crap at doing stitch' Joe replied, he looked at me with a seductive look.

James got a phone call from Shannon, so he went in to his bedroom to take the call. We carried on with the game, '21' Joe got 21, the boys automatically said something I knew they would, James must of told them want happened at lunch. 'I dare you... To kiss Verity' they both looked at me and Joe did too. I didn't mind him kissing me, but I'm already falling for him and I don't want to fall for him any more than I already am.