And so Dad's in the picture

chapter 6 - And so Dad's in the picture

I was awaken from my blissful sleep by a tap on the shoulder, the dream instantly wiped away from memory. My eyes fluttered open to view Joel in a grey suit, his usually blonde hair seeming darker in the dimly lit room. His full profile was barely visible.

"Hey, sleeping beauty," Joel smiled.

"Hello, Prince charming. Here to rescue my mother?" I sat up and rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

"Your mother and I just got back." I glanced over at the clock above the T.V and read eleven twenty three.

"Oh, well done for bringing her back early, I was worried you’d stay out after midnight and what with all the work she has tomorrow, I don’t think it would’ve been a good idea." I congratulated Joel by patting him on the shoulder as he took a seat next to me.

Just as Joel went to open his mouth Mum walked into the room, holding the phone against her ears. She stopped right in front of me, her silver dress shimmering in the dark. She smiled down at me before handing the phone over.

"It’s your father," she mouthed. I eagerly took the phone, stood up and went to the hall way, where I paced back and forth.

"Daddy!" I screamed.

"Hey honey, how’s my precious darling doing?"

!Great and you Dad?"

"I’m awesome."

"Oh Dad, that’s so embarrassing. Don’t say that ever again."

"Give your Dad a break; I was trying to make you laugh."

"Yeah sure Dad, whatever. So how come you called so late?"

"To see how you are. You’re very questioning today; is everything okay?"

"Yeah course. I’m just wondering, it’s nearly midnight and you’re calling now. You never call this late."

"It’s half term for you next week right?"

"Yeah."

"How would you like to come and stay with me for the two weeks?"

"Definitely. Is Mum cool with it?"

"Yeah, she said it was fine."

"Then of course Dad. I’d love to come and stay, but…"

"But what?"

"Only if I’m allowed to bring friends with me."

"Sure, Jay can come if he wants."

"Dad! I didn’t say Jay."

"Well, we all know that’s who you meant."

"I have other friends too, you know."

"I know, honey. I was only teasing. I’m glad you’re coming, can I speak to your mother now."

"Yeah."

I went back into the living room where Joel and Mum were snuggled up in the sofa, watching T.V.

"Mum, Dad wants to talk to you again." I passed the phone back to her. "I’m going to bed now and you need to do the same. Don’t forget work."

"Yeah yeah, thanks honey. Goodnight." I bent down to allow her to kiss me on the forehead before I went to my room and fell into my bed.

I was washed, dressed and ready for another day of school. I strolled into the kitchen where Mum was cooking a fry up. She was dressed in her usual inappropriate footwear with red heels on. She twisted around and gave me a wide smile.

"How are you, beautiful?" She planted a kiss on my cheek as I took a seat at the table.

"I’m…brilliant." I returned the smile, thinking carefully about the use of my words.

"That’s good." She placed a plate filled with scrambled eggs, mashed potato and sausages in front of me and took a seat opposite me at the table, with her plate in front of her.

"Thanks Mum. This looks delicious and mmm… it tastes so good." I took a bite out of the sausage.

"Thank you."

We sat in silence; although this wasn’t an awkward silence. It’s the type of silence that you enjoy with company. That was until I broke it.

"Mum…"

"Yes darling?"

"Are you fine with me going to stay with Dad?" That was bugging me all morning, since I woke up. It’s great, spending time with Dad, I mean. I love spending time with him, but if it meant leaving Mum alone at home or if she wasn’t fine with it then I didn’t want to go. I don’t want Mum to feel lonely.

"Yeah course I am honey. You haven’t seen your father in quite a while. Why? Don’t you want to go?" She frowned and her whole face turned to concern, "What’s wrong, baby?"

"Oh no Mum, nothing’s wrong. I’m just thinking about you. I don’t want to leave you here alone." I placed the last of the food into my mouth. "Are you going to be fine?"

"Oh honey, course you should go. Don’t you miss your father? No one’s forcing you so if you don’t want to go then you don’t have to. And besides I won’t be alone, I’ve got Joel." She reassured me.

"No Mum I do want to go. Well, if you’re sure then I will go. And about Joel, he’s not allowed after nine." I joked, sticking my tongue out.

"Oii you, you might be my daughter but you have your limits. Now get out of here, you don’t want to be late for school." I hopped off my chair and kissed Mum on the cheek before I left the house.

It was another day of sunshine; the golden sun beat down at the pavements and almost blinded me. Nevertheless, ; I smiled to myself as I walked passed my house gate and stood in front of the wall which was sandwiched between the two gates of Jay’s house and my own. Jay came out only seconds later, whistling a tune that reciprocated his happy mood.

"Oh that’s a shame," I moaned once Jay and I began walking to school. His arm around my shoulder and mine around his waist as usual.

"What is?" He raised an eye brow.

"I was looking forward to seeing you in the costume." I teased him through habit.

"Oh, ha-ha, very funny. You do realise that this isn’t the end of it. I’m going to get you back. Watch your back init." He smirked, more to himself.

"Whatever…loser," I laughed.

"Look who’s talking," he said, sarcastically.

We walked in further silence, admiring the everyday sights until I thought it was time.

"So my dad wants me to go stay with him for the next two weeks and he’s wondering if you want to come," I began. I twisted my Dad’s words to suit it in the way I thought appropriate. Jay stopped us, turned me to face him and placed both his hands on my shoulders.

"I can’t," he simply said.

"Because..?" I prompted him. Using my hands to gesture further explanation.

"I promised Jessica that I’ll meet her parents." He said it all so fast that I almost missed the words.

"Oh, that’ cool.’ I initiated our walk again. He refused to look at me the rest of the way.

Once we got to the school gates, Hannah came running towards us hastily.

"Guys, you wouldn’t guess what? Come quick!" She began tugging at my shirt and I was obliged to follow her. I held onto Jay’s arm to make sure that he wouldn’t escape. If I had to see this, then so did he.