9. But He Is Cool

Chapter Nine – But He Is Cool

Friday came and went; nothing major happened. I spent most of my time in school avoiding Ashley, although he didn’t make much of an effort to converse with me. The events of Thursday kept replaying that day but eventually I let it pass. They all came to my house after school, we were all dotted around my living room, where I asked them if they wanted to join me for the two weeks.

"Mum said I shouldn’t leave their sight because of yesterday. My seizure’s can happen at any time, the nurse said." Ashley, sitting on the chair besides the window, answered first. I nodded in response.

"I think I’ll stay with Ashley," Hannah, seated on the sofa besides Jay and Jessica, sighed.

"Good idea," I replied. I, myself, stood near the door of the living room.

"I’d come but I’m going to Wales with my mum and sister." Jasper was standing next to Ashley.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Have fun," I simply answered.

"Will do."

"Oh, we can’t: Jay and I are having dinner with my family. He’s going to meet my parents for the first time," Jessica squealed, excitedly.

"Yeah, I know." I briefly looked at Jay but he refused to return the gaze, so I averted my gaze to Serenity who was sitting on the arm of the sofa near Jay.

"I don’t think my parents would mind. Mum’s going away on a business trip and Dad’s still in America. I’ll call my Mum and ask her right now." She took her phone out and evacuated the living room only to return minutes later with a smile, "she said yes."

So it was settled; Serenity and I would go live with my Dad in Manchester for the half term.

It was Saturday when I woke up at seven am. I attempted to sleep another hour since Dad was due at ten but the excitement kept me awake. Serenity and I agreed that she’d be here at eight thirty. I got out of bed around seven thirteen and almost tripped over the bag I packed last night. I stumbled down the stairs, the smell of sweet, delicious food made its way up my nose, with my eyes half closed. I faintly remember walking into the kitchen when a flash attacked the blur of my vision. Almost instantly I was wide awake.

 One more flash with the company of a click, then another and another and this time I saw what it was. Jay sat on the kitchen table with a camera in  his hands taking picture after picture of me in my pyjamas, smiling away. All the while my mother was by the stove, stirring a pot of soup.

"Mum!" I screamed. "Tell him to stop."

I charged at Jay, seeking to take the camera away from him but his other hand held me back from the camera. Eventually, after many failed attempts, I accepted the fact that I was not going to get camera and so I wacked him on the back of the head. I began laughing.

"Oh my God! Mrs A did you see that?" Jay moaned.

"Yeah, well that should teach you to mess with my daughter. I told you she wouldn’t like that." Mum joined me with the laughter. Soon enough the three of us were laughing for no reason at all. We stopped laughing, looked at each other, and began it all over again.

It was some time before Mum finally cooked the soup. Jay and I set up three spaces on the table, then mum filled the three plates with the soup. I watched as the two of them sipped a spoon of the soup.

"Mmmm… this is great Mrs A," Jay complimented.

"Oh thank you Jay, I’ll give you some to take home to your parents," she smiled back.

I then took my first sip of the soup and immediately started coughing. Jay giggled while my mother quickly poured a glass of water for me.

"Ha-ha, poor little Taz can’t handle a little bit of chilli," Jay laughed, taking another sip of his soup. He was almost finished whereas I didn’t touch mine at all. He took pictures of my state.