Settling in

Chapter 10 - Settling in

It took just under four hours to drive to Manchester, not that I noticed since I was asleep for most of the drive; I fell asleep just after we backed out of my house and woke up just as we passed a billboard welcoming us to Manchester, waking up only twice in between that.

We drove another fifteen minutes in Manchester before we stopped in front of a huge wooden house, looking old.

A sound of amazement escaped Serenity’s mouth, replicating the way I felt. The house looked truly magnificent.

I squished my face against the car window to take a better look at the house. “Wow!” I gasped: the only thing I was capable of saying.

The house had a patio at front with a swinging chair and small coffee table on it and to the right was a large pond surrounded by massive trees.  Just behind the pond was another house similar to Dad’s one but that was the only other house around.

“You can get out of the car, you know. I do actually own the place, go on, go check it out,” Dad commented, already out of the car. His face lit up with a smile. Serenity was just getting out of the back.

“Oh, uh… yeah,” I replied. “Wow.”

I also climbed out of the car and grabbed Serenity from behind me, dragging her towards the house. Her eyes were sparkling, mesmerized by the beauty of nature surrounding us. She was easily pleased.

“You do realise you need a key to open the house, right?” Dad laughed, making his way towards us after we looked back.

We soon got in and Dad gave us a tour of the house; there were five bedrooms in total, a living room the size of a basketball court and a kitchen even larger. Even the bathroom impressed me. Dad told me that two of the bedrooms had an on-suite bathroom and there was another on the second floor for everyone. There was also a toilet on the bottom floor, which was just as big as the bathrooms.

We then settled in front of the TV in the living room after we were allocated rooms, taking the biggest of the four left as Serenity and I decided to share. In that room was a double bed, two wardrobes and a computer already. Dad informed us that he had that room reserved for me anyway.

The living room felt quite homely; on the walls were photos of my baby self where I was on Mum’s lap. There was also a framed photo of the family on the cabinet besides the door and there was a bookshelf stacked with heaps of books.

We sat on the sofa where I was squashed between Dad and Serenity. It was pretty much getting dark.

“Dad, so how comes you’re living here now? The last time I came you lived in a two bedroom flat. What happen?” I asked, briefly glancing over at Serenity who was engrossed with the programme on TV that I didn’t think she even paid attention to us.

“Well I got a promotion at work and so I’m making double the money I used to. I bought this house two weeks ago and wanted to surprise you, which certainly worked.” He laughed, playfully elbowing my arm.

“But Dad, Mum said you’re company isn’t doing so well at the moment.” This time he turned away from the TV and looked straight at me, frowning a little.

“She did?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah she sat us down, grabbed a chair and told us. She gave us rules of things we should and shouldn’t do. To make sure we’re good for you,” I explained, nodding at his question.

“Ah, that mother of yours, a bit too extreme isn’t she?” Dad tried to laugh it off.

“No seriously Dad, I’m worried about you. Plus are you gonna be living in this massive house on your own?” I reached out and placed a hand on my Dad’s larger one, indicating sympathy.

“There’s nothing to worry about, we’ve got a new buyer so everything is fine with the company now. And as for this house, I won’t be living here alone either. My friends family will come and stay with me from next Thursday, so you’ll meet them next week.” He removed his hand from under mine and tapped my shoulders. He was smiling now.

“Oh?” I asked. “Are you sure?”

“Yhup, everything is fine now. Don’t worry about it. Next I’ll be buying you a television for your room for the next time you come and visit.” I wrapped my arms around his neck and squeezed him tight, already forgetting about the worry. He gave me no reason to worry after all.

“Tell me about this family then,” I prompted, serenity still gazing at the TV.

“They’re great, you’ll love them. They have twins your age, you know.” He continued, talking about where they lived before, how they met and all the other detail, all excitedly. I couldn’t help but be pleased for my Dad.

We settled into the house pretty well and moved around on our own quickly. It was almost time for us to go to bed because, funnily enough, Dad still gives me bed times.

It was almost approaching midnight when my phone went off. Both Serenity and I took up the position on our bed; I took the left side where as she took the right. When I took my phone out, Jay’s picture flashed out at me.

“Hey sexy,” I called out into the phone with our usual phone greeting.

“What’s up hot stuff?” he replied. The same old conversation.

“Just getting ready for bed, you?”

“Say hi to Jay for me.” Serenity tapped me and winked. I nodded in response, my fringe falling over my eye. I blew it away.

“Oh want me to call you back tomorrow or something?” He asked, the disappointment in his voice evident.

“No, no! I’ve been waiting for your call all day. Serenity says hi by the way. Ha-ha, that rhymes,” I spoke all at once.

“oh back at her.” He laughed. “So how’s it over there?”

“Oh my God! Jay, you’re missing out. Dad’s new house is amazing! It’s like some massive wooden house by a pond, Dad said I can swim in it if I want. It belongs to him and the residents of the only other house around.” I sounded so excited that Serenity had to laugh.

“Oh check you out, Daddy’s little girl; Dad said this, Dad said that…” he teased.

“Whatever,” I brushed it off.  “I miss you.”

“I miss you too. I guess I better leave you to your sleep. Oh, by the way, you might want to check facebook out.” His voice sounded devilish and he began to cackle, adopting an evil laugh.

“Hey, what’s that suppose to mean?” I asked, curiosity building up inside.

“You’ll see,” he laughed once again.

“Fine.”

“Okay, so I’ll talk to you tomorrow.  Same time, same place,” he joked.

“It’s a date.” I played along.

“Guys! What have I said about flirting? And absolutely no dates for you two, you have a girl Jay and besides, Taz is off limits.” Serenity shouted, playing the obstructer in our little role play.

“Sorry Mum!” Jay moaned at Serenity. “And to you, night guys. Sweet dreams.”

With that I put the phone off.