7. Ashley's Condition

Chapter Seven - Ashley's condition

The panic in her voice was evident as she viciously pulled me towards the school building, as I did the same to Jay – not by choice. Neither he nor I took her panic seriously though; Hannah is the master of anxiety and we thought this was another one of her pointless dreads.

"What is it this time? Your lip-gloss ran out?" I asked in a jokey tone. Jay yawned to emphasis his boredom; however I heard a small laugh in muse of my comment.

"No, this is serious Taz, please I’m scared," She was almost out of breath and struggled to tell us what she was trying to say. Her grip tightened once we were near the training cage. This time Jay yanked me backwards, putting me to a halt and in turn pulling Hannah back before she balanced herself.

Jay put his hands on Hannah’s bare shoulders since she was wearing a strapless top. I stood besides the both of them, facing Hannah. We waited for Hannah to catch her breath.

"Now tell us, what’s wrong?" His smooth voice must have calmed her down a little because she softened a little.

"It’s Ashley," she replied quietly, unable to look either of us in our faces.

"What about him?" I prompted; I couldn’t take the fact that she was being discrete.

She didn’t answer us immediately, as though she was pretending something didn’t happen.

"Hannah, tell us! What happen?" Jay was getting a little aggravated, obvious through his tone of voice.  

"He’s had another episode, he’s not come ––" She began.

"Where is he?" It was my turn to panic, I literally yelled at her to get the answer. My heart quickened almost instantly when his name and condition was mentioned.

"The nurses office but ––" Before she could finish her sentence I began running in the direction of the nurses office. I heard Jay call out and then heard their heavy footsteps as they struggled to keep up with me.

I ran through the corridor, weaving in and around crowds of people hanging around. More than enough times I heard abuse escape those who I would accidently barge into. I ignored them all; nothing was going to stop me from making it to Ashley. Once I got to the nurses office, I didn’t bother knocking; I pushed the door open without thinking.

The office is quite small; the far, right corner of the room was taken up by a desk. Metal locker type cupboards were dotted around the room, each against the ill-painted blue walls. Besides the desk was a door, leading into another smaller room where students are aided for.

The nurse was seated behind her desk when she looked up due to the noise I made as I forced the door open.

"What do you think you’re doing, young lady?"  She wasn’t hiding the fact that she was quite angry with my rude barging.

"Sorry, miss. My friends in there," I pointed to the door to her right. "Please, can I see him? I’m scared."

"Oh, well sure," her face softened. "someone’s already in there, Serenity I think she said. Don’t worry honey, he’ll be fine. Do you want tissue’s to wipe your tears away?"

Only moments later, Jay and Hannah came huffing into the office. They placed their hands on their knees to regain the normality of their rate of breathing.  I shook my head at the nurse and wiped away the tears that I hadn’t realised were there.

"How many more of you?" She asked. However, I left Hannah and Jay to answer her as I walked into the room that Ashley was lying in. In that room there was a red stretched out chair where Ashley was lying on. I shivered at the sight of Ashley, just lying there on the bed. His breathing was steady; however, his skin was rather pale. His lips reciprocated the colour of his skin, being just as white.