Chapter - 3

"He's going to kill you," Randall informed me for the hundredth time as we pulled down the street that leads to Marc Jacks' house.

I took my long blonde hair from the ponytail I'd put it in earlier. Running my hands through my straight hair, I made sure that there were no tangles in it. "Chill out, Ranny," I proclaimed while calling him by his nickname. "If he goes to the party it will be the last time we'll see him. Even then you know Bryson and parties. All he likes to do is drink and hang out with his friends. He'll not even go after you," I commented and then figured I'm the one that should be watching my back. Bryson will more than likely seek me out towards the end of the night so I can move my car.

"You might have to park on the side of the street," Kat told Randall as we all saw that Marc's driveway was full of cars.

"Yeah, I can see that," Randall replied as he started to look for a spot on the side of the road.

I leaned back in the leather seat of Randall's new car. Taking a deep breath I realized the new car smell that lingered in the air. Trying not to smile at how much I loved the scent, I exhaled. Suddenly, the phone in my pocket gave a hard vibrate. Digging into the pocket of my white denim shorts, I pulled out my cell phone. Recognizing it was Peter, I answered without second questioning why he was calling. "Hello."

"Elle?"

"Yeah."

"... Why didn't you tell me?" I heard Peter's voice breathed in the phone.

Raising an eyebrow, I wondered what in the world he was talking about. There aren't really any secrets that I hold from Peter. Even though he was in college, he and I talked all the time and I tell him almost everything that is going on. "Peter, what are you talking about?" I inquired as Randall parked the car. Both Kat and Randall looked at me with curiosity swirling in their eyes. Shaking my head at them, I awaited Peter's reply.

"I went in your room, looking for your headphones because mine broke. Wanted to listen to some music while I cleaned the house for Mom. I found the letter on your desk about your college fees. You owe over fifty-thousand dollars!" Peter exclaimed on the other line.

"Peter, I was fully aware of that when I applied to Haley-Way. It's an Ivy League college, the cost is expected. Just, don't worry I have it covered," I told him. "I'm taking out a student loan."

"A student loan? Elle, have you not filled out scholarship forms? Have you not-"

"I have to go, Peter, my friends and I have arrived at our destination," I spoke as my eyes rolled into the back of my head. His words were only reminding me of how stupid I was. All my upperclassmen years, I never thought of signing up for scholarship money. I just figured that it would all roll into place and that my parents would help with the tuition. Thinking about it for a second longer, I sighed at how Tracey, my admissions counselor at Haley-Way, chuckled at me when I told her that. She also informed me that it was too late to sign up for their scholarships. I would have to take out a loan for the first year and then the next year I have to make sure that I sign up for any and every scholarship that I qualify for.

"When you get home, we will talk about this," he informed me in a stern voice that reminded me so much of our father.

"I know," I mumbled before turning off the phone.

"What was that about?" Kat asked me as she pulled her red hair into a side ponytail. Looking at me through the visor mirror, she awaited my reply.

"Nothing. Come on, let's go," I egged as I got out of Randall's car. As I waited for Kat and Randall to get out, I pulled down on my baby blue cotton tee, making sure it was not crinkled up in the front and back.