Epilogue

6 Years and Several Months Later:

“Most of you know, I was friends with Kat Bonnet - Mayla’s close cousin and friend. What you may not know is that I made Kat a promise that if she ever was to get married, that she would not make me a Maid of Honor. But, she and I knew it was a lie: I would be her Maid of Honor, if she ever asked ... Unfortunately, Kat passed away and I was never given the opportunity.

“However,” I added, “Mayla made it her personal goal for me, on this day, to be her Maid of Honor. She told me, upon asking, that Kat was always her first pick of a Maid of Honor, growing up. Yet, now that Kat is gone and we are very close friends, Mayla wanted me to take Kat’s place ... So, here I am - standing in these uncomfortable shoes, making a Maid of Honor speech. A speech I thought I would make to a different person and a speech Mayla thought would be spoken by a different person.” My eyes flickered over to Mayla, she smiled at me.

Looking over at the groom that was seated next to her, I chuckled. “My speech, admittedly, is even more personal than I am letting on because while Mayla is my friend - she married my idiot of a brother. While I could stand here and embarrass him to no end, I’m not going to ... Instead, I am going to briefly talk about how you two dated back in high school - that was until Mayla dumped you. However, through the course of a wild adventure,” I glanced down at Bryson who was seated beside me.

“You two found each other once more,” I continued. “I could see, as we stood in the lobby of the police station six years ago that you, Mayla, still like my brother - even though you broke up with him - and I could tell, in that moment, that he still held feelings for you too. Within a matter of months you two were dating and going strong.”

I looked over at the six-year-old girl that was sitting in Peter’s lap. Her blue eyes bore into me as she intently listened to what I was saying. “Davina,” I added, “Was born, and while she was not your daughter, Mayla, you took her in. You treated her like she was your own.

“Now,” I stated, “I’ve no earthly idea why it took my stupid brother six years to marry you - but he did. Now, here we are at a wedding that was years in the making ... I hope that you both find eternal happiness with each other, I hope that one day, soon, you guys will have litters of Peter and Mayla Juniors running around.

“All in all,” I added, “I hope that you two realize that you’ve found something that many people search a lifetime for. It makes me happy to know that you both - my best friend and brother - have found ‘the one’. May you never lose sight of what you have ... Cheers!” I stated as I raised my water glass in the air.

The room echoed in cheers, laughs and small chatter.

I sat down and tucked my napkin back in my lap.

“Beautiful speech,” Bryson whispered, whisking some of the small hairs around my ear with his breath.

I blushed, “Thanks. I, honestly, thought it was actually a load of shit that just spewed out of my mouth. Yet, it was thrilling!” I exclaimed as I got a small rush in doing that speech.

Bryson gave a deep laugh, “Only you would find a rush in something so trivial. But, in all seriousness, I think you did great - Your Mom cried in the end.” He stated with humor laced in his voice.

I looked over at my mother to see that she had watery eyes. Mother leaned over and placed her head on Coach Daniels, or as I now call him, Frank’s shoulder.

Frank started to whisper what seemed like sweet nothings to my mother as she smiled and chuckled here and there.

“Can you believe that they’ve been married for five years?” I question in slight amazement at how time has flown by.