Chapter - 51

Bryson's green eyes flickered towards my father and Ian. He gave them a grin that reminded me of someone who knew they had all the right cards and weren't afraid expressively show it. He parted his pink lips and spoke, "I would like to savor this moment where you two," Bryson nodded towards Ian and my dad, "Are realizing that the lie you've told Elle is about to be revealed ... but I believe we all have schedules to stick too and I should, due to the time crunch, get straight to the explanation of what you two are doing together, for Elle's sake." Bryson stated slowly, showing that he really didn't care about the time passing. Taking his hand out of his suit pocket, Bryson allowed his hands to rest at his side. "Elle, there is a list of things you should know - if I'm being frank."

Bryson said no more as he strolled into the office with a certain dominating aspect in his walk that I've never seen before. He truly acted and looked as if he owned the place, as he walked over to the empty chair by Ian. Bryson grabbed the chair and pulled it over towards me. Placing it in front of me, he gave me a genuine smile, "Take a seat."

For some reason I found myself listening to his words. Sitting down, I looked up at him as he stood in front of me. "Stop wasting time and get on with your explaining, please," I pleaded for I was burning with curiosity about not only why Ian was here but what Bryson wanted with my father. However, Bryson's 'taking his time' attitude was getting under my skin.

"Will do..." Bryson moved so he was standing beside me. "Elle," Bryson stated as he placed his hand on the back of my chair, "Your father lied to you, well, partly ... You see, while he accepted those people you asked him to accept after you found out about all the people he denied-"

I looked at Bryson with shock. I wondered how he knew I found out about my father's actions of denying people that I felt deserved to have insurance. "How'd you know?" I asked him.

Bryson glanced down at me, "I have my ways. Now, my point is - your father accepted the people as long as they signed up for life insurance. Well, in step Ian. Bet you had no idea his uncle - on his mother's side - was Kingsley Moreover, the owner of Moreover Life Insurance." Bryson waited for me to say 'I knew that'. However, when those words never leaked out of my mouth because I truly had no idea about Ian's relation to Kingsley, Bryson continued, "Thought so. Point is, your dad might have accepted them and given the people insurance, but Mr. Moreover was where your father made profit off the people.

"He and Kingsley," Bryson exclaimed, "Worked out a way to charge the people accepted at White Card Insurance Company, double - even in some cases as they saw fit, triple - the normal cost of life insurance. Of course, Moreover and your father split the profits. Yet, since a year ago, Ian has taken over Kingsley's ruling role in the company because Kingsley was diagnosed with lung cancer and is, point blank, dying.”

"I had high hopes, I must admit for Ian, your dear friend," Bryson proclaimed. "I watched, hoping he would put a stop to your father and Kingsley's arrangement. Have to say, I didn't believe my ears when I learned that Ian didn't end the agreement. In fact, he's been trying to convince your dad to add this life insurance agreement to all clients of White Card - healthy, sick, dying, rich, poor - you get the point."

I furrowed my eyebrows as I looked at Ian, "You knew what my father was doing - before you even started to work for your uncle. I told you about what my dad did ... you knew because of his actions, of denying people in need, it made our relationship the way it is - broken. You knew I hated his actions! Yet ... you ... you decided to scam people! People that are dying! For what? Money!" I asked in outrage as my hands held onto the side of the chair, tightly. "Or was it because I denied you?!" I asked as I leaped out of my chair and stood up. "For the love of milkshakes and watermelons, tell me, Ian. Why did you do it?! Was it in spite of me?! Was it because I friend zoned you? Was it because of money? Or are you turned on by knowing you drive people in debt! While they worry about if they will live another day! Tell me, damn it!" No one said a word once I was done. I sat down and huffed in anger.