Chapter - 53

"What's got you so down, Child?" Deavon asked as his eyes bore into me with worry.  After being here and chatting with him for less than five minutes, he was already moving towards the sore subject.

I kept a forced smile on my face as I looked at him. "Nothing is wrong, Deavon." I tried lying, hoping he would drop it, unlike Peter who I just left moments ago.  Even still, with all the hope in the world, I knew that Deavon wouldn't let this topic of conversation go. He has always been way too concerned with my physical and mental health.

"I've lived many long years, Elle. I have lived and learned - I've probably been in the same situation that is eating you up. So, come on, spill the beans." He urged with eager eyes.

I chuckled at his statement, "I'm more than positive that neither you nor anyone on the face of this planet has, is, or will ever be in the situation I am in." I felt my smile turn genuine as I found humor in the unique situation I was placed in.

"I highly doubt that," Deavon stated as he rolled his eyes at me. Without saying another word, he pressed a button on a remote the hospital furnished him with. Soon the back of his hospital bed moved forward, placing him in an upright position. Sitting there, with the oxygen tube wrapped around his face and tucked behind his ears, he grinned wildly at me. "Come on, Kiddo. Tell me, what's going on? If not to gain advice from my vast experience and knowledge - do it to humor an old man like myself."

I decided that I should go ahead and tell him, because I truly did want to know his thoughts and opinion. So, starting from the day of graduation, I told Deavon everything. Once I was finished telling him, an hour (or so) later, I sighed. "Do you think I was stupid for pushing Mayla away?" Was the first question I asked.

He looked like he was contemplating on the answer. Soon, his lips cracked open. "No, I don't think you were stupid for getting mad at her and saying you were going to cut her out of your life. You were in the heat of the moment and that is how you felt - then. However, Elle, I fear you are losing sight of things. She - like Peter told you - made a tragic mistake. A mistake I can undoubtedly tell you is eating her up. I, honestly, think you should go and talk to the girl. If by the time you are done talking, face to face and you feel the same way - then go your separate ways. Yet, I think you will find that you can't cut ties with some people so suddenly."

I sunk in my chair, not fully expecting or liking what he said. "I don't think talking to her in person will change anything, Deavon."

"You don't know that. See, your day and age has lost the concept of face to face talking. Everything is done through phone calls, emails, and texts. You can't see one's face with calls, texts and emails. I believe the second you physically see how this situation is impacting her, you will see she regrets what she did."

"But Deavon, she lied-"

"And when it comes to that excuse, Peter was right. You'd be a hypocrite if you cut her out for a mere lie, Elle."

"A mere lie?! She tricked me into getting married, for real." I exclaimed as I felt like everyone and their momma was ganging up on me about this.

Deavon exhaled, "You are stubborn to a fault, Child. So what, she lied about the marriage being real?! It is not like you are upset that it is real."

"I-I-I-"

"Don't lie, Elle. All you are upset with is that she lied - not the content of her lie. I think you need to know a little unknown secret: if everyone cut everyone that lied to them out of their life, we'd be a lonely race. See, we all lie at some point in time, Elle, whether it is in small or large degrees.  The girl made a mistake! You've made mistakes! I've made mistakes - upon which I will not elaborate on. Point is, you should talk with her in person, if anything. I promise I will not hound you afterwards if your opinion is still the same." He gave me a smile and a stern look that basically told me he was taking no argument. "Now, go ahead and ask the big question you have burning in that mind of yours."