Chapter - 50

“Ms. White, long time no see,” Page, the welcoming receptionist, said with a bright white smile the moment she saw me enter my father’s building.

Walking straight up to the desk, I returned the smile. “Hey, Page,” I stated casually for over the course of the past few months (before the wreck) I’ve grown to like and consider Page as a friend — even if she insists on calling me Ms. White. You might wonder why I’m so close to her now, the answer is simple, when my father was fighting me tooth and nail about my college, I found myself coming up here daily to pick another fight with him. In the process, we have grown closer.

“Here to see your father?” She asked with a raised eyebrow, even though she knew the answer to that question.

I gave a short nod, “Yeah, unfortunately...” I looked behind her desk to see that there was no bulky figure sitting behind her, hiding behind a newspaper like usual. “Where is Deavon?” I asked as I found myself missing the man I consider a second father figure.

Page looked at me like a deer stuck in headlights. “You don’t know?” She questioned with small gasp, clearly showing her shock that I didn't know something big about Deavon.

I shook my head, utterly confused as to what was going on. “No, I don’t know ... where is he?”

Page started to move things around on her desk, in a nervous manner. I knew she was stalling, “Well...” She began but paused as she moved a pen from the middle of her desk and back to its rightful place — in a pen cup. “He is in the hospital,” She blurted out so quickly that I almost didn’t understand a word she said.

“In the hospital?” I inquired with shock laced in my voice. I felt like my whole world was crumbling down — for the billionth time today.

Page halted her actions of fiddling around with random items on her desk and nodded solemnly. “Yes. However, it was a minor heart attack. Happened a week and a half ago.”

I gave a frown, much to myself for I started to feel guilty that I didn’t know this, even though at the time he had the heart attack I was mentally thirteen and dealing with a jerk from Hell. Yet, it felt like a lame excuse, one meant to attempt to cure an aching heart. Sagging my shoulders, slightly, I sighed. “What hospital?” I questioned for I knew I need to see him, as soon as I could.

Page informed me of the hospital, only for me to realize it was the same one Peter was in. Figuring I’d knock out two birds with one stone after I leave here, I nodded. “Thank you, Page. I’ll see you later.”

She nodded and said her final goodbyes to me.

I began to walk away but before I got too far I turned around and looked at her. "There wouldn't have had to been a tall, dark haired, green eyed guy come in here recently. He would have stated he is here to see my father.”

Page shook her head once, “No. I would have called Marybeth to see if he had an appointment and I haven’t had to call her since last hour when he had a meeting with the President of a partnering insurance company."

I soaked in what she said, “Okay - when the guy I described gets here ... if he does ... don’t call Marybeth. He is with me, send him straight up,” I requested.

“That is not protocol,” Page exclaimed.

Giving her a warm smile while I held in a groan of frustration, I spoke, “Please? He is the guy I’m deeply in love with and I want to introduce him to my father — but I was hoping to, kinda, surprise my father.” I spoke in a semi-lie for I was not really deeply in love with Bryson - I liked him, but wasn’t in love. However, I knew that Page was a hopeless romantic. She was the kind of girl that would do anything to see love survive.