Chapter - 52

“Oh my gosh! I’ve missed mom’s cooking!” Peter stated as he shoved another brownie into his mouth and then gave off a loud moan. He went to get another one, but I pulled the plate away from him.

“No, the rest are for Deavon,” I stated as I put the aluminum foil back over the paper plate.

“Deavon? The guy that is head of security at Dad’s office?” Peter asked with a mouthful.

“Yeah, he had a heart attack and is in this same hospital. Just a floor below you, if I’m correct,” I informed Peter as I tightened the foil, once more around the plate.

“If he had a heart attack, shouldn’t he be avoiding sweets?” Peter inquired as his eyes focused in on the warm plate that I was holding. I watched as he licked his lips, slowly, in anticipation that he would get another brownie.

I tilted my head, “You know, I never thought about that.” Seeing he was right, I lifted the foil and took out a brownie. Taking a bite of the chocolatey goodness, I moaned just like he had done a few moments ago. “Damn, you were right. These brownies are really good.”

Peter glared at me, “You’re an evil woman, Elle Sunny White - not sharing with your poor brother that is stuck in a hospital. You know, if you truly loved me, you would share that last brownie with me,” He proclaimed with hopes that he could guilt trip me into giving him part of the last brownie.

I chuckled at his antics, “You can have it,” I stated as I gave him the paper plate. “So, what have you done in the Misty department?” I asked as I wondered if he had ever done anything about her.

Peter, who was about to take a bite of the brownie, slowly, sat it back down on the plate — untouched. “She is in jail ... they found a positive match for her car paint with the paint that was on my car. I talked with a lawyer, he believes I will, without a shadow of a doubt, get full custody of my child.” Peter gave a sigh and I could tell that he was stressed about his unborn child and what would end up happening to Misty.

“Do you regret turning her in?” I asked Peter with a raised eyebrow.

He shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know. I mean, I know she deserves to rot in jail for causing the wreck and killing Kat and Randall - not to mention your memory loss and my coma ... but ... I don’t know ... I feel bad for ratting her out.”

“You still love her,” I stated more than asked.

Peter looked at me with a guilty expression. “Am I a bad person? She did so much to me, before the wreck. She was crazy and I knew it ... I still do. However, I can’t just drop my feelings for her...”

I shook my head at Peter, “You are not a bad guy, Peter. You are in love, and love — as someone once told me — makes you blind. I think, with time, you will get over her.” I tried to convince him with a small smile.

Peter raised an eyebrow at me, “And what if I don’t?”

“Then you will be a miserable man with a child,” I spoke, jokingly as I hoped to lighten up this conversation that was going downhill, slowly.

“Har-Har,” Peter said as the corners of his mouth twitched up into a smile. “So, what’s shakin’ in your love life?” Peter asked as he tried to flip the conversation on me.

I wiggled a little in my seat as I felt uncomfortable that the spotlight was on me right now. “Bryson and I are getting a divorce.”

“Divorce? Is that needed? Thought the wedding was fake.”

I nibbled on my bottom lip, wondering how Peter was about to take the next bit of information I was going to give him. “Well, you see ... Mayla, the girl that was planning the ‘fake’ wedding, decided that it would be in my best interest to make the wedding real. She thought Bryson and I were made for one another...”