Party line

Addilynn

That afternoon, Addilynn was sitting on her bed looking at a magazine called Life when she heard the telephone ring.

*Ring Ring*

"I got it!" Yells her mother.

After a while Addilynn's mother walks in. "Honey, its for you. Emma is calling you." Emma is one of Addilynn's best friends. They have been friends since 8th grade.

Approaching the telephone, she picks it up. "Hello Emma! How you doing?"

"Hi, I've been great. Listen I wanted to tell you that tomorrow Cheryl, Linda,me and you should go hang out at Bowling 8."

Bowling 8 is one of the many Bowling places where teens hangout.

"Yes of course I'll go, but let me go ask my mother and father."

Addilynn sets the phone down and walks over to the dinning room where her parents are looking at a piece of paper."

She calls out to her parents "Mother, Father?" Her father turns to her. "What is it?"

"Can I go to Bowling 8 with Emma, Linda and Cheryl tomorrow?" Her parents know her friends pretty well by now and all four go out quite alot. With no hesitation he answers with a "Yes of course."

Then her mother speaks up. "Honey, we have been over this already. Your choice of words are incorrect. You don't ask wih a "can I" you use a "may I". Please try to put it in use. You will eventually start saying it naturally. Yes I agree to let you go too."

Score! Yes, a day out tomorrow Bowling. I want to get out this house. I don't like being taught how to be so proper on how to be a good housewife or my choice of words.

She heads back to the living room and picks the telephone up. "Emma are you still there?" Emma immediately answers back. "Haven't gone anywhere. Let me guess, your parents said yes."

"Yes."

"Yes! Maybe we can see some handsome boys there." Claims Emma.

Addilynn laughs. "Oh Emma, you are always talking about boys." Emma gasps," That is not true. I think about other things too."

Just then a giggle could be heard through the telephone line. "Addilynn is that you? You sounded kind of different."

"No, I thought it was you." Ugh don't tell me someone else is using the telephone line right now? It happens a lot. Telephone lines are shared between 2-8 house holds so eaves-dropping happens a lot. There is basically no privacy at all. Not a good idea to say things you don't want other people to know becuase there's a high chance someone is going to hear it. So it could be anyone.

"We have a party line right now. I'll see you tomorrow and I'll pick you up. Good-bye." And with that Emma hangs up.