Chapter 20: The Dinner with Unwanted Company.

"Golden rule of life: never underestimate your rivals." - Sid Waddell

Unedited

[Yvonne's POV]

I kicked off the urge to punch them both in the gut. Vanessa is like a snake, slithering around you before she'll attack you. And, Ferdinand is the kind of guy, sweet and caring in the outside, but rotten in the inside.

I shared no emotions to both of them. I force a smile if I need to, showing them that I'm not the same Yvonne they used to know.

Vanessa was giggling too much even the story wasn't that funny and I knew she's trying to get all the attention. She doesn't need to. With just the way she talks and with how her body moves as she talks, it gets all the attention and it was driving me insanely pissed.

She does really know how to get everyone's attention. But, I didn't show them that I'm freaking mad. Pretending to enjoy their topic, I kept my face with a force smile. Ferdinand was eyeing me most of the time, trying to search for my eyes, but I tried not to lock eyes with him.

Finally, the waiter came and I don't know what the hell took him so long. When he saw Vanessa, he was flirting openly to her.

I watch as the young waiter took our orders. Demetrio ordered mine and he was very attentive to me. I could see that he's really pissed with the two sharing tables with us, but he tried to be polite. I could feel his anger radiating off him and I leaned my head on his shoulder lightly. I felt his lips tenderly pressed on top of my head, for a moment, my heart and body felt relax enjoying the warmth of his lips spreading all over my whole body.

When the waiter left Vanessa grab her martini and made a big gulp. Then she looks at me.

"Mom's birthday tomorrow night. It would be nice if you come with Demetrio. It's been a while since mom and our other relatives, even avô misses you and Gabriela." Vanessa said almost choking with her face skillfully painted with melancholic mood, that even myself almost buys it.

I look at Demetrio feeling worried. I hope he didn't buy it, but judging how his eyes softened I knew he did.

Damn Vanessa. She did it again.

Vanessa's eyes was close to tears. She's damn good in acting. Why would I be surprised? She always does that. I would always come out as the villain while she will be the good girl. That's why avo loves her more than any of us.

"Of course, we could come and so I would meet my girlfriend's family." Demetrio replied in an excited happy tone, before I could retort. I saw a triumphant smile formed in the corner of Vanessa's mouth and unfortunately, Demetrio misses it because his eyes was fixed to me.

I wanted to strangle her neck, but I knew I would come out the bad guy again. I'll play along with her and tried to think of a good comeback. Maybe it's time to face my dad's family with my chin up and show them that I won't be their slave again. Not ever!

"We could go right, moro?" Demetrio's voice snapped me out of my train of thoughts.

I look at him and he looks serious. I nod my head in agreement. "Sure! It's been a while, anyway. I want to see how's everyone doing after dad's death!" I said gritting my teeth discreetly, hate laced in every words.

I felt Demetrio's hand rub my back sending his support. I looked up on him, stared at his beautiful gray eyes and I saw that sparks of supports and I smiled. I knew he's on my side and I should not worry.

"Yes. We will come." I replied looking at Vanessa. Her smile widened, and I felt that anger again. I knew theres more than that smiles. A dangerous scheme plotted from that pretty face Vanessa, that only gods knows what.