5|| Friends

Chapter Five:

"Hey Dale!" Max called from his window, it was the weekend since the Walker brothers were recuperating from their mother's sex talk. They couldn't bare to look at Mrs.Walker's familiar reflective eyes.

Dale was a beautiful girl who constantly dyed her hair into different colors. It was now blue, dark like the night sky. Max can't recall what color her natural hair ever was. Dale squinted her eyes around the yard, it took her a few minutes to look up at the point of her neighbors house. She'd been at the attic a few times. The place belonged to Max, himself.

He saw the corners of her thin lips curl into a faithful smile, she waved him.

"What up pretty boy!" Dale asked, she places her hands on her hips and continued to look up at Max.

"You wanna go out to eat some burgers?" Max questioned, leaning against the window. Dale almost winced at the thought of Max falling off and braking his perfect face. The one thing that drew her into becoming friends with Max was his strong jawline, or how his Adam apple was visibly shown. At some points it drove her insane, the first time Max saw Dale, he was intrigued by her hair and her small figure, 4'2.

"Are you asking me out on a date Max?" Dale raised an eyebrow at him.

Max smirked, "Yes!"

"Why are you flirting with me?" She teased.

"Because you're gorgeous!" Max flirted.

"I'll be ready in five minutes." Dale announced as she walked towards her house. Max got inside, shutting the window behind him.

Downstairs, Sullivan and Cath continued to argue between continuing the newspaper.

"You're a very mean person," Cath pouted and crossed her arms when Sullivan stole her black journal, the one she'd been recording the life of the Walker Brothers. She jumped closed to Sullivan who held the journal above her head, she could barely reach.

"Really?" Sullivan amused, "It's not like you know anything about me."

"Yeah I do!" Cath defended.

"Surprise me then." He tested, as she struggled to retrieve her pride and joy.

"You love cereal and you would live off it if your mother allowed. You wished you had blond locks like Max, but you don't, you have an ashy shade of dark brown hair, so you keep it short, because it wouldn't also allowed girls to slip their fingers through when you kiss them. You like being taller than me because you can tease me when you know I like it. And you don't have the guts to ask me out because I might say yes, but we would brake up in a few weeks when we go to College. Sullivan, you're an attractive boy I want. And you want me as well, like you want honey bunches of oats every morning." Both Sullivan and Cath looked surprised, because for once Cath had stolen the words Sullivan could never speak. Slowly, he lowered her journal. But she was too enchanted by his chocolate eyes, Cath wanted to devour him right there, right now. She prayed that he'd cupped her neck and lean his strong body against hers.

They've clearly known each other for some time, and they both had history together that no one else would know about. 

But Sullivan stepped besides her. Disappointingly, Cath nodded picking up her notebook and messenger bag, launching it over her left shoulder, like always. Sullivan didn't stop, he headed to the kitchen where he could be gone.

On her way out she saw Max dressed fancy with a red plaid shirt, sleeves rolled up all the way to his elbows, paired with back jeans and black shoes. His signature smirk faded away when Cath greeted and dismissed with a tight hug, he was almost her height.

"What's wrong?" Max accompanied her out the door.

"Oh nothing, just Sullivan. Where are you heading?" Cath shrugged, almost annoyed with the subject of Sullivan so he didn't question more.

"Out on a date," Max smiled widely. They were almost heading their different paths when Cath turned around and called for Max, to which he turned to acknowledge her, what? He'd asked her. Cath's eyes were filled with a watery glare, "Don't you break her heart, okay Max?" She did sound like his mother when she advises her boys to treat girls as jewels.

"I can't promise you that," Max cocked an eyebrow at her, a teasing remark. Maybe it would make Cath smile to see the old player like Max Walker, but her expression remained unread and hopelessly sad. Max would surely beat the heck out of Sullivan for hurting a great girl like Cath. Most times he could imagine dating her, taking care of her, treating her like a princess he never claimed. But Cath is 17 and he's 14. It's wrong.

"Then promise her that," She said lastly before she continued on her path. Max remained there a few minutes, hoping that she would turn around at any give moment and somehow reassure her, that he'll at least try, try for her not Dole. But she walked on.

Max began walking towards Dole's house. When he was at the front door, he could smell the Roses from Dole's backyard. That's another thing he admired from Dole, she cared for her precious garden. At most times she told Max about her addiction to flowers, she always had to be in her garden either watering or planing more plants. It was an exotic place, she'd owned.

Max brought his shoulders back, his chin up and stole a sniff from his armpit. At least he didn't forget to wear cologne. Confidently he pressed the doorbell that gave out a melodic tune, it sounded from those Christmas albums his family constantly plays on Christmas morning.

Not a few minutes passed when Dole opened the door, a girl wearing an strapless black dress. Max was in awe, speechless. He'd never seen this side to the hippy girl next door. Dole tucked in a strand of her blue hair behind her ear, and gave him a sly smile. God she was-

"Beautiful," Max spoke loudly. Dole chuckled, and Max then realized he'd said that out loud. He scratched his neck nervously, "We should get going." He told Dole and she walked outside, locking the door behind her, "I said we were going to get some burgers not a fancy restaurant."

This startled Dole, "Oh should I change?" She was about to walk back when Max clutched her hand. She stopped frozen, staring back at her hand and Max's. Out of nowhere, they both began walking, slowly Max interlaced their fingers together and gave her a slight squeeze. She returned the gesture back.

"No, you're beautiful and way out of my league." Max complimented her.

She blushed terribly.

Where has the girl with mockery gone? Max thought, he pulled her closer so that their shoulders met.

"Max? what am I?" Dole was an amazing person, but she was still a girl.

"Whatever you want to be," Max bit hit bottom lip suggestively. And wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Really? then what am I to you?" She licked her lips.

"A friend?" He challenged, Dole rolled her eyes.

"Besides that," she said, he disliked this whiny side of Dole but he excused this typical girly action because he'd knew it was a famine instinct. And Dole was a girl, so.

"Why? do you want to be more?" he nuzzled his face at her neck, a giggle escaped from her, and he secretly took in her rose sent in. She nodded, running her fingers though his silky hair.

"You want to be Mrs.Walker?" Max asked, placing a faint kiss on her neck.

He never would of imagined doing this to his friend, because to him, she was still his friend. And now his girl.

"You drive me crazy Max," Dole pushed him away, and continued to walk together, "Now lets go and get a bag of french fries and burgers, separate."

He smiled hearing his old friend back, if it was one thing Dole and Max did together was not share food.

Max could live with that.