Spiritual Networking - Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Millie didn’t know what possessed her to act on an impulse. She was not that type of person. Everything was thought through and planned, especially when leaving her apartment.  This morning she found herself not only leaving the apartment during the daytime, but now she was sitting in her car in front of New Life Christian Church, Paul’s church. All she had to do was walk in, but fear kept her sitting in her car...waiting.

Paul had been in the church office suite and all of the other pastors and staff gathered around, laying hands on him, like they did normally for Pastor Davis before church, praying for God to use him to open hearts and minds.

After the prayer, Sydney pulled him aside. Following their one and only date, they had come to realize they were better friends than anything else. Without a question in Sydney’s mind about a possible relationship, she opened herself up to the relationship they did have and both had noticed that their friendship had a stronger connection.

“Paul, you are going to do great! Don’t let the fact that Daddy will be watching from the front row throw you. Just remember, he puts his pants on one leg at a time too.”

“I know. I know God has given me the message for today. I was just thinking about Millie and wished that she could be here.” Paul gathered up his Bible and iPad with his notes from the desk and walked out of the office with Sydney at his side.

“Paul,” Sydney said grabbing his arm to stop him from walking, “You can’t think about her now. There are going to be people in there that need to hear the word God has given you today.”

“I know, but still I wish she was here. Trust me, in the pulpit I will be all man of God. But right now, I wish I could just talk to her. She calms me and excites me all at the same time.”

“Does she even live around here?” Sydney wanted to support Paul, but she was afraid he would get hurt.

“I don’t know. We have been chatting for almost a year now, but any time I bring it up, she changes the subject. Besides, she thinks it would never work because of her issues with fear.”

“Paul she is keeping things from you. You are going to get hurt. I know you really like her, but please be careful!” Sydney put her arm in the crook of Paul’s arm and continued walking in the hallway between the offices and the sanctuary. She should already be in the choir room praying with the praise team and choir, but she wanted to be there for Paul too.

“Yeah. I do like her and I trust her that she is not lying. I know you don’t understand this, but I know how I feel. And this feels right.” Paul looked down at her and smiled. “Look, I need to get my mind together and you need to go get your praise on!” They both chuckled, “why don’t we go out to lunch and we can talk then?”

“Sounds great. And Paul?”

“Yeah?”

“We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”

“Romans 8. Hey! Maybe you should preach today!”

“Not on your life! This is all you today! Well, you and God.” Sydney smiled and she turned to walk down the hallway to the choir room.

Church started at ten thirty, Millie still sat in her car praying, “God, if you want me to go through with this, I need you beside me today.”

At ten minutes after eleven, she walked into the church. Her cell phone was on vibrate, but was clutched in her right hand and shoved into the pocket of her zipped up hoodie. She clutched her only lifeline to her technology based world like a lifeline to a person thrown overboard in the raging sea.

As she walked in, she made sure her hoodie was pulled securely over her head and hiding as much as possible. Opening the back door to the sanctuary, an usher began to approach her, but she slipped into the back pew before he could come any closer.

She had been watching the church services at New Life Christian Church for several months and she knew what type of songs and praise and worship that would be lead. But, there was something different today. The hair on her arms began to ripple as Sydney began to sing “At the Cross” and the audience sang and participated in the worship with the words on the large screens behind the stage.

Millie noticed that some people sang, some people raised their hands and some people worshiped in their own ways. No one was right, no one was wrong, it was like Goldielocks and the Three Bears of worship, some like their worship hot and raising their hands and even dancing or swaying to the music, some like it more formal and quieter, more reserved. But no matter what, they had come to worship in their own way, the one that was just right for them.

Some people sitting close to Millie looked at her. But nothing like she was expecting. They looked over at her like they were glad she was there, not like they were staring at a freak who needed to cover up to leave her apartment.

As Paul stepped on the stage, Millie’s heart beat a little faster, she pulled her hoodie a little tighter around her head and sank down a little in her seat in hopes that he would not see her. He looked so handsome in real life! He commanded the stage and attention as he laid down his iPad and plugged into the network, suddenly his iPad appeared on all three screens at the front of the church.

“Today, we are going to do something a little different, on the bottom of the screen you will see a number that I encourage you to text your questions or comments during the sermon to. At the end of the sermon, I will pull up your questions and answer them as best I can.” He looked up and smiled, “Now, let’s get going. I’m reading from Isaiah 41: 9 - 13