Spiritual Networking - Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Over the next week, Paul and Millie figured out the logistics of their wedding ceremony, dividing up details and duties. Paul had eagerly taken care on the honeymoon, ordering tuxedos, the rehearsal dinner and booking the church. They had decided on the date, late in October. Millie had even decided on the colors of orange, gold and brown.

Where she needed her mother’s help was with caterer, florist and wedding planner. She would probably use the same planner Alexis was using, but she did not have any contact with the person.

Paul had come up with a wonderful idea of building a gazebo that could be donated to the church’s new walking trail after the wedding. The gazebo would be done in brown and decorated with the fall colors and the same flowers the bridesmaids would carry.

They had also decided that this would be a family event, Alexis would be maid of honor, Charity and Faith would be bridesmaids while Peter, Paul’s dad would be best man, James and Charles would be groomsmen. Savannah and JC would be flower girl and ring bearer.

With a folder of all their ideas, Paul and Millie headed to his parents for Saturday lunch and prayed all went well. Millie had already offered to elope, but Paul knew one day she would regret not having her special day.

Arriving at the farm before anyone else, Paul pulled his mother aside so Millie could not hear, “Mom, I really need your help to keep Mrs. Anderson off Millie’s back. She is going to rush in here and try to have everything her way. I think Millie will stand up to her, but I am not sure how much she can take.”

Susan took a deep breath, “OK, I will do what I can. But when Mary is determined to do something, it is done.”

After the Anderson’s arrived, the men went into the family room to discuss the gazebo and then watch a ball game, while Millie and all of the women gathered around the large table in the kitchen.

Millie took charge right away. Unknown to her mother, Alexis had come over the other day and they already had all the details, they just needed to sway their mother into finding the right people to pull it off.

She showed her color swatches, dress ideas, pictures of cakes that she had found online, Millie had just said, “Paul has booked the church and the reception hall,” when her mother spoke up.

“I called the club and they have an opening that weekend. I really think you should have the reception there. They take care of everything.”

Millie took a deep breath, “Mother, we are not having our reception at the club. You need to understand that.”

Mary batted her eyes and said, “And you need to understand that you will have it wherever I tell you to if I am paying for it.”

“You know what Mother,” Millie realized mother came out a little more sarcastic than she would like, but what could she do about it now? “I appreciate your offer, but I think Paul and I will pay for it then.”

“Why, you can’t afford that!” Mary said having no idea whether she could or not.

“Well, we will scale things back if needed then. We don’t need six hundred people in attendance. Oh and while we are getting this settled. I will need your invitation list to look over and cut people from the list. Because I can tell you right now, this is MY wedding and not Daddy’s business meeting.”

“And what is that suppose to mean?” Mary asked with a shocked tone to her voice.

“Just that he is not inviting business associates. Paul and I are inviting family and friends.”

“Well, you just tell him that!”

“Don’t worry, Paul is probably doing that right now. You need to understand that this is our wedding and we will do it like we want. I have already offered to elope and not have a wedding ceremony at all, but Paul insists. So, I personally don’t mind walking out if I feel that you are trying to take over.”

Millie saw the small smile spread across Susan Thomas’ face and knew that she had just bested her mother and gained the respect of her future mother-in-law.

Paul was showing his father, Charles, James and Tom Anderson the design for the gazebo and explaining that when the wedding was over, this would be donated to the church’s new walking prayer path, where people could go and meditate.

Tom Anderson shook his head, and Paul wasn’t sure if it was because he did not like the idea or because he did not agree in the plan. “Mr. Anderson do you have a suggestion?”

“No. But, I do have a few questions, like why are we building this instead of hiring someone? Why is it being donated? And why are we putting it in the middle of a church for the wedding?”

“Great questions, well we are building it as a labor of love for Millie, for years to come we can go to it on the walking path and renew our vows or remember the day. It will be special. We are donating it because then it will bless other people. And we are putting it in the middle of the church for the wedding to look special and amazing for our day. Millie wants a fall wedding so I thought by building the gazebo and a few more decorations we could have it look like a fall sanctuary by the time we are done. Any more questions?”

“Yes, but not for here. I still need to talk to you.”

“Mr. Anderson, we are among family sir, you can say anything you like.”

“Okay, why are you always bringing up God and religion? I’m not a heathen.”

“I know that sir, but I do worry about where you will spend eternity. God loves you and wants to be Lord of your life, but you have this wall up. If you are only going to church on Sunday to see and be seen, then why would God allow you into his kingdom?”

“It’s like this,” offered Peter, “we have all sinned and we need to ask God not only to forgive us of our sins, but be Lord of our life.”

“I asked him once, so I am good.” Tom said.

“But, the Bible says that you must live your life for God and not for yourself. If you do everything with just Tom Anderson in mind, asking only ‘What would Tom do?’, then you are not living your life to the fullest in God.” Peter said. “I tried to live my life for me once and failed miserably and like Paul says, when I gave God everything, I had nothing to lose.”

“I’ll make a deal with you Mr. Anderson,” Paul suggested, “Surrender your life, everything, your business, your family, your interests...everything over to God and see what happens. I am sure you won’t regret it! And if you do, I won’t bring this up to you again. But in order for this to be fair, you have to give everything not only in your words, but in your heart and mind as well.”

“That’s asking a lot son,” Tom said.

“But, like Daddy said, you have nothing to lose,” Paul reminded him.

“Well, what would someone have to do?” Charles asked.

“It’s as easy as ABC,” Paul said, “first you admit to God that you are a sinner and need to be forgiven. Then you believe that Jesus died for your sins and through him, you will be saved. Finally you commit to living a new life in Christ. ABC.”

That afternoon, Charles gave his heart to Christ, in the family room at the Thomas’ farmhouse. Tom, well he was going to need a little more time, and a lot more prayer.