Spiritual Networking - Chapter 16

There is an artist mentioned in this chapter by the name of Ian Fisk. Ian is a fictional character in Heather McGhee's story Blind Fools. I used his name with permission from Heather. If you would like to learn more about Ian and Ophelia, I suggest reading Blind Fools on Wattpad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 16

A few weeks later, Paul and Millie were talking after Millie had fixed him dinner. They were sitting on her sofa and he was playing with a strand of her golden hair as his arm rested on the back of the sofa.

“Mil, what made you want to become an artist?”

“I was always good at it. I enjoy drawing and painting. But, when I found myself in graphics art, that became my love. I like creating something for people that they need and it’s useful. But also well designed and having an eye for detail. I’m very picky about my work, it has to be perfect when I send it off. So, I pay attention to not only what the client wants, but also the little details.”

“You said once that you used to paint. Why don’t you do that anymore?”

“Just busy I guess. I normally paint about one to two pictures a year. I did that one up there.” Millie nodded her head to the painting behind her desk.

Paul stood and went over to look at it closely. It was a garden scene with all types of flowers in the background and a humming bird in flight at a flower in the foreground. Paul had noticed it before in Skype, but now looking at it, he could see the detail... the morning dew on the petals of the flowers, the veins in the leaves, even the feathers on the hummingbird. It was amazing.

“Wow! That’s incredible,” Paul wanted to reach out and touch the lines in the painting, but knew not to touch an artist work.

“Mother has a friend who has an art gallery, so when I finish one, she picks it up and takes it there for me. Mother hates that I don’t paint all the time. She thinks my graphic art is not art. But, I love it.” Millie’s smile spread across her face, “But you should have seen it the summer before I went to college, she was so mad at me because I decided to be a street artist in the city.” Millie looked up at Paul with her big brown eyes, “You know the people that sit on the sidewalk and draw portraits of people. I think Mother had a conniption when one of her Garden Club ladies told her they bought a painting of themselves for twenty dollars from me.”

Paul wasn’t sure if it was the story or the southern accent in which it was delivered, but he laughed so hard. “I’m sorry, that was just funny. So, what happened?”

Millie shrugged, “Mother did what any Anderson parent would do, she took me to Paris that summer to see all the great museums. Wouldn’t let me out of her sight the rest of the summer. I think that was when she knew I was serious about art.” Millie’s face became somber, “I also guess that is why she doesn’t understand the graphics art and design that I create. Because she has seen my paintings and drawings.”

“Does that bother you?”

“No, not really. I mean I have multi-million dollar companies who appreciate my work for them. I’m sure Mother has no idea that the logo she sees every time she puts on her make-up is my creation. I’m sure she doesn’t know that her favorite brand of bottled water is my design. But, I know and that is all that matters.”

“Mil, Friday night, there is a new exhibit opening at the High. Would you go with me? I really want to see art through your eyes.”

Millie thought about it for a few moments, then she nodded. “Only if I start to feel uncomfortable, we leave.”