Spiritual Networking - Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Alexis’ wedding  day had arrived, and the Thomas house was a bustle of activity. Millie and Alexis decided to spend their last night as single sisters in the family home. Alexis awoke in a pile of nerves in hopes that everything that had been planned for went smoothly.

Their mother had taken care of all of the preparation details, wanting her daughter’s special day to be a memory to last a lifetime. The spa for all of the attendants was first on the list with massages, nails, hair and make-up done for all six girls plus the mothers of the bride and groom. After that, they were swept away to a private light lunch at a tea room where the pampering continued.

At this rate, Millie understood why Alexis had chosen to get married at six o’clock in the evening. She took all this in wondering what she would insist her mother cut from her wedding in just four short months. Definitely keeping the massage!

Next, they returned to the Anderson house to begin getting ready and more importantly, get the bride ready. The photographer arrived at four for pre-wedding pictures and then off to the church for more pictures.

The wedding was everything her sister wanted. Millie stood by Alexis’ side as she exchanged vows with Charles. It was a lovely ceremony. At one point she looked out and found Paul looking at her with a grin on his face, knowing that in just a few short months he would be saying “I do” to her. Millie couldn’t help but smile back at him.

They stood at the end of the church, between the sanctuary and the front door in a receiving line, greeting all of the well wishers at the end of the wedding. Paul and the Thomas’ has just gone through the line and Paul was waiting for Millie outside to escort her to the reception. As he came through, instead of shaking her hand, he gave her a hug and a quick kiss whispering in her ear how beautiful she was. Millie blushed and shooed him out the door, wanting to get this dreaded line over with.

She had not longed for her hoodie in a long time and had become accustomed to not wearing it. Yet, this receiving line made her want to retreat into herself. Paul had been the only bright spot in the line and he was waiting for her twenty feet away, just beyond the large oak doors of the church the Anderson family had attended for over a hundred years.

Looking Paul’s way, wishing she was with him, Millie did not notice the person who now took her hand she absentmindedly offered, yet the hairs on her arm stood up. “Darlin’,” a voice deep and thick said with authority, “don’t you look lovely this evening. Do I get to greet you like that young gentleman did earlier?”

Millie turned her head only to find the man who assaulted her years before gripping her hand and leaning into her space like he was going to kiss her. Her eyes grew wide and as she tried to step back she felt his hand at the small of her back holding her very still.

His breath was hot on her neck as he said, “You were the loveliest of them all. Didn’t you know you are not suppose to outshine the bride today?” He planted a kiss just below her ear and stepped away to Charlie’s best man Colton, his younger brother who was looking over with interest.

When the man had left, Colton said, “And I thought you only had eyes for Paul. Your secret is safe with me.” He noticed that Millie did not quite look right, she was sweating and looked white as a ghost. He thought she was about to pass out. He took hold of her elbow, “Millie? Millie? Are you OK?”

“Yeah, I just need some air. Colton will you help me find Paul?”

Colton and Millie had become fast friends in the months leading up to the wedding, and in all honesty, he thought upon hearing that Alexis had a sister that maybe... just maybe he could woo her, but when he met Paul and saw him and Millie together, he abandoned the idea and knew they were perfect together.

As soon as the fresh, warm Georgia air hit Millie she started to feel better. She found Paul sitting by the fountain where they had agreed to meet. Millie thanked Colton and said she could make it on her own. Seeing that something more was going on than what Millie had said moments before, he knew he needed to step aside and let Paul and Millie handle whatever it was, but it didn’t stop him from smiling and saying, “If you need anything Millie... anything, just let me know.” Millie nodded her head and offered her thanks again.

“Mil? What’s the matter, you don’t look well. Are you OK?” Paul said as he stood up when she approached and Colton walked away. He took Millie’s arm and led her to the bench in front of the fountain and helped her sit down.

“Mother invited that man.”

“What? The man that attacked you?”

“Yes and he... he... he got close and said things and kissed me on my neck. Paul, I couldn’t move or say anything. I just stood there and let him.” Tears were beginning to well up in Millie’s eyes, but she refused to let them fall over the man. She had already shed too many tears in the past over him and she vowed that she would never let another one drop.

Paul pulled her into his arms and cradled her head into his neck. “You are safe, I’m here with you. No one can hurt you.” Paul kept saying over and over as he stroked Millie’s back with his hand trying to reassure her.

Finally when he felt her sigh, Paul knew she would be OK. “I won’t leave your side at the reception. OK?”

Millie wanted to go home and cuddle on the sofa with Paul. But, she knew she could not do that to Alexis. So instead, she nodded her agreement. Paul helped her stand and they walked towards his car.

Walking into the reception was the first time in almost nine years that Millie had stepped into the club. She took a deep breath as she crossed over the threshold, gripping Paul’s hand tightly at her side. Knowing her assailant was also inside the building did not help.

Paul could not stay by her side, but he was never far away. He watched as she was announced and escorted in by Colton, who had been a great guy and had become a good friend to both of them. She sat at the head table next to Alexis, and throughout dinner, she knew she was safely by her sister’s side, Paul breathed a little easier.

Millie did not want anything to ruin her sister’s day. So, Paul knew she would not tell Alexis what happened at the church until much later.

After dinner had been served, Paul approached Millie, asking her to dance. And dance they did. She had no idea that Paul was such a good dancer. He explained, “Mama made me take lessons before I could ask a girl to the prom,” He grinned and then added, “this is the first real time I have danced like I was taught though. You know in high school they would have laughed at me if I would have waltzed.” Millie leaned into him and smiled, just happy to be in his arms.

As the night went on, Paul was true to his word, he did not leave Millie’s side. After the cake was cut, Alexis gathered all the single females to throw the bouquet, and Millie had no option but to catch it because Alexis turned around and threw it right at her. Just as Paul was happily forced to catch the garter when Charles turned around and pulled it back and aimed with his index finger, like shooting a rubberband, right at him. Not to mention all the other men had put their hands in their pockets ensuring they would not come away with it.

Afterward, as they danced, Mary Anderson approached the couple, “Amelia darlin’? Alexis is asking for you to help her change out of her wedding dress. Be a dear and go help your sister. Your father and I need to greet some guests as they leave.”

“Okay Mother,” Millie said. As she turned to Paul she smiled and said, “A sister’s work is never done.”

He started to come with her, but she stopped him saying that it was just down the hallway and he couldn’t go in with her.

She walked past the ladies room and towards the room the club called the Bride’s room because of all the wedding receptions that were held in the facility. Just as she was about to approach the door, a hand snaked around her waist pulling her towards the dark end of the hallway. She felt a warm breath on her neck and a voice, deep and dark, say, “I thought I would never get you alone.”

Millie froze. If he could see her face in the dark shadows, she knew he would see how scared she was. She silently prayed ‘Lord, please help me. I don’t know what to do.’

He spun her around and his breath smelled of alcohol, scotch in particular. Suddenly Millie had a boldness like she had never had before. She felt it flicker inside, grow to a mighty raging fire. “Sir!” she said with authority, “You have no right to touch me, hold me or even for that matter think about me. For after this moment, I will never think of you again. I forgive you for accosting me all those years ago.” Glaring at him with a look of pure repulsion, Millie said, “But, now I am telling you to remove your hands from me. NOW!”

His grip on her waist became tighter as he tried to pull her closer. “Now darlin’, you have no reason to forgive me, so don’t be like this.”

“I said remove your hands. This is your last warning! I may have forgiven you, but I will never be afraid of you again.” Steel in her eyes, she was no longer intimidated by this man.

“Darlin’,” was the last word she heard him utter.

Millie brought her leg back and with all the force in her, kneed him in the gentle area between his thighs. He double over quickly and she turned leaving him in a heap on the floor with tears streaming down his face.

Paul came rushing into the hallway when he heard Millie raise her voice in a final warning, he watched as he saw her protect herself from the man who now laid on the floor. He knew he shouldn’t, but a smile broke across his face. Millie turned, but did not see him as she went into the room to help her sister change. She looked like the most confident woman in the world.

Walking to the end of the hallway, Paul leaned down to the man groaning on the parquet floors and said, “Sir, you have forgiveness you don’t deserve. Just like Millie, Christ will forgive you and help you to mend your ways, but you must ask him. I suggest you accept that forgiveness and leave here quietly. Look deep within your soul and see what type of man you want to be? A man full of arrogant pride who assaults women? Or a man who is proud of himself and treats women with respect?”

“You know nothing of me!”

“No, you’re right, I don’t. But, I know her really well and it was a lot for her to forgive you for what you did. So, accept it with dignity. Or wallow on the floor all you want, but you will never lay a hand on her again.”

Paul went back to the reception. For a moment, he thought about guarding the door and waiting for Millie to emerge, but he knew in his heart that she now stood on her own two feet. He did however, seek out Mr. Anderson and inform him of the man laying on the ground in the hallway.

When the man finally emerged from the darkened corridor, he left immediately holding his now reddened jaw. Mr. Anderson came away shaking his right hand and headed in Paul’s direction.

Paul knew it wasn’t the Christian thing to do, but he was glad that Mr. Anderson finally stood up for Millie, even though it was nine years too late.

“Son, I think it is time we had a talk.” Tom Anderson said. He normally had a look of confidence and superiority, but now, now it was a look of regret, confusion and hopefulness.

“Of course. What would you like to discuss?”

“My soul, and where will I spend eternity.”

Later that night Millie wrote:

FIGHTING BACK

When fear debilitates you,
You need to fight.

When someone attacks you,
You need to fight.

When things scare you,
You need to fight.

When nothing else matters to you,
You need to fight.

But, sometimes you need to let go.
Sometimes you need to be free.
Sometimes you need to forgive.
Sometimes you need to love.

Fight for what you believe,
Forgive when you hurt,
Love at all times.