Spiritual Networking - Chapter 15

Chapter 15

At six o’clock on the dot, Paul knocked on Millie’s door. Reluctantly she opened it. She was dressed and ready to go, but fear was battling her again. Paul could see it as soon as he looked into her eyes.

“Paul, I don’t know if I can do this. What if they hate me?” He could see the worry quickly spreading across her face. She looked beautiful in a black embroidered tunic dress that fell to just above her knees. It had white embroidery and beads throughout the dress and Paul realized this was the first time he had ever seen her in a dress. Her hair flowed in long curls that were just dying for Paul to play with, run his fingers through them, or maybe he was dying to do that. Millie wore black sandals that showed off her manicured toenails.

“Mil, you look breathtaking!” He pulled her into his arms and kissed her gently on the lips, “You have nothing to be afraid of. It’s my family and they’ll love you.” He gave her another quick peck this time on the cheek.

They started to head out, but she said, “Cookies!” and ran back towards the kitchen.

“Cookies?” Paul looked confused.

“Well, you can’t expect me to show up at your parents empty handed the first time I’m invited, do you? Plus, I bake when I’m nervous or upset and so I made cookies. I thought the kids would like them.” Millie had a smile on her face, but by the end of her explanation, she looked worried again.

“They’ll love them. Let me,” Paul said as he took them out of her hands.

Millie grabbed her hoodie as they were walking out the door. Paul smiled at her, he didn’t say anything when she picked up the hoodie, but he knew that eventually all of Millie’s walls and fears would need to be addressed, the hoodie will some day have to go.

As they drove the hour long route to the Thomas home, Millie asked questions about his family to try and keep her anxiety under control.

She found out that Charity fell in love with James their first semester in college and although Mr. and Mrs. Thomas had always been supportive of their children, they were a little leery of their daughter wanting to get married after only dating James a few months.

True to Charity and James’ promise, they did not have children until they were both out of college, but six months after graduation, Faith Ann Robertson was born. It took them nine more years before Savannah was born and just a few years ago, they were blessed with their first son, JC, James like his father and Charles with Charity’s first initial.

Paul even laughed when he told her about all the nicknames Charity had for him as a young boy. From a small child, Charity had given him silly nicknames that change with the wind. Once, when he chased her with a water hose as a child she called him “drench” and then another time he was about five and came out of the bathtub and bathroom and ran naked to his room, she called him ”flash” for the longest time. When he was twelve and got scraped up on a mountain climb, she started calling him “crash” and then when he wanted to become a minister, she started calling him “preach,” which was still what she called him.

As they pulled into the dirt road that lead to the farmhouse, Millie was able to take in the scenes. She was glad Paul had talked and told her stories on the trip, it did calm her down. The farmhouse was larger than Millie expected. It was a white two story house with a wrap around porch. It looked like it had been there for at least a hundred years. Not because of age and dilapidation, but because of the style and characteristics of the house.

Ferns hung from hooks in between each pillar of the porch and there were several groupings of rocking chairs and porch swings. Suddenly, Millie could see herself sitting there with Paul as the sun set, drinking sweet tea and talking about their day. She had never considered moving out of her apartment, much less moving out of the city, but seeing this it seemed like the easiest life to live.

Paul, who had been holding her hand most of the drive gave it a little squeeze, “I promise, it will be great,” smiling up at her.  Millie knew he was speaking the truth.

“I know,” Millie smiled back.

It was twilight and the purple, orange sky behind the house made the homestead look even more magical. Suddenly the magic was broken when two children came barrelling out of the house and took off running for their uncle’s car. “Uncle Paul, Uncle Paul!!” the children yelled appearing at the window before the car was even at a complete stop.

“Hey monkey’s!” Paul said, as he got out of the car. He walked around to help Millie out, carrying one child hanging from each arm. Millie was already standing by the closed car door holding her plate of cookies by the time he arrived.

“Savannah, JC, you are the first to get to meet Miss Millie.” Paul said smiling at her and taking the plate of cookies from her.

“Hello Miss Millie, I’m Savannah and I am pleased to meet you.” Savannah stuck out her hand and Millie shook it.

“Hello Savannah, nice to meet you.” Millie smiled at the child who must have been about six years old, her blonde hair in two braids and a gapped tooth smile.

“How’d I do Uncle Paul?” Savannah whispered, but Millie still heard it and smiled.

“Did fine Vanna, really fine.” Paul said picking up one of her braids and tugging on it. “Miss Millie made ya’ll some cookies. Would you like to take these in to give to MawMaw?”

Savannah took the cookies and JC by the hand, “Come on Bubba, we might even talk MawMaw into letting us have one before dinner.” The little boy who was about three toddled along next to his sister with a smile.

Paul lead Millie into the house and squeezed her hand just before moving it to the small of her back, he leaned down and whispered, “They will love you.” He grazed her cheek with a kiss.

As they walked up the steps of the front porch, Millie went to lift her hoodie over her head, but Paul turned to face her and put his hands on her hands. “Mil, you are safe here. You don’t need that. Will you try without it tonight? I promise you will be fine.” Millie nodded and left the hoodie down, but kept the jacket unzipped, but still in place.

‘Baby steps,’ Paul reminded himself. ‘Baby steps.’

Millie stood at the closed door, about to reach out and ring the doorbell. Paul put his hand on hers to stop it and then opened the front door. Millie looked at him surprised. She would never be allowed to just walk into her parents home. Once she moved out, it wasn’t home anymore.

“Hey Mom we’re here!” Paul said as soon as he walked in.

“Hey Paul, we are back here!” Susan Thomas called from the kitchen.

As Millie walked through the house, she noticed the house was cozy and comfortable with oversize soft furniture in a Country French decor of burgundy, green and gold. It was elegant, but simple. Mixed up pieces seemed to go together in a way that was pleasing and warm.

“Mom, Charity, Faith I would like to introduce you to Millie Anderson.” Paul smiled and rubbed her back and gave her shoulder a squeeze.

“Hi.” Millie said quietly.

“Millie, it is so nice to finally meet you.” Susan said wiping her hands on a dish towel and coming over and giving Millie a hug. “Paul,” she moved over to stand in front of her son and put her arm around his waist and lead them to the door, “why don’t you go out back and make sure your Daddy doesn’t burn the steaks. Millie will be fine with us girls.”

Paul looked over at Millie asking with his eyes if it will be OK, she nodded and he walked out the door.

“She’ll be fine,” Charity looked up from the salad she was making and yelled, “we have lots of funny stories to keep her entertained for years.”

“Remember big sister, I have tons of those about you too,” Paul said almost out the door.

“Yeah, but I am not in love with her,” Charity yelled. Paul froze where he stood, Millie’s eyes grew three sizes bigger and they looked at each other. Paul could see the shock on Millie’s face, and he simply grinned and shrugged, knowing his sister was right. He just wanted to be the person to tell Millie how he felt.

“That’s alright, I got stories to tell your kids. Faith, did you know your mama...”

“Enough!” Charity said exasperated, “I won’t disgrace you too much.”

“But Mama! I wanted to... OUCH!” Faith said as her mother swiftly pinched her arm so that Millie and Paul did not see.

Paul headed outside to help his father grill, looking over his shoulder and praying Millie would be OK.

“Millie, these cookies look wonderful. What are they?” Susan asked, wanting to make Millie feel at home. She was worried about her. When Paul walked out, Susan could see the slight look of panic that flashed across Millie’s face. The girl had a smile now, but Susan could tell that was to cover up the fear.

Paul had talked in depth about Millie with his parents and what her fears were in hopes that when this day came, they would help set her at ease and make her feel at home. Both Susan and Peter were worried with their son’s romance, but they trusted him to do the right thing.

“They are cranberry and white chocolate chip, oatmeal chocolate chip and peanut butter. Oh no! Is anyone allergic, I didn’t even think to ask.”

Susan reached over and patted Millie’s hand as she led her to the counter, “No. Not at all! So, don’t you worry. And Peanut butter is Peter’s favorite.” Susan said with a smile. “There are enough cranberries in these to call them a full fruit serving!”

“Yes ma’am. But enough sugar to send you into a coma if you eat too many.” Millie said with a smile.

“Well,” Charity announced, “the men are grilling steak and corn. The salad is done. Millie’s cookies and Mama’s chocolate pecan pie are done, sweet tea is chillin’ in the fridge and baked potatoes are in the oven. I think it is some girl time.” Charity started towards the big country table, “Millie come sit and let me embarrass my brother.”

Millie and Faith walked to the table, while Susan poured four glasses of sweet tea and brought them to the table.

“So,” Charity began, “You know a lot about Paul?”

“Yes. But, I am sure you know more. I mean you grew up with him.” Millie offered.

“True. Anything you want to give me? I mean ammunition or anything?” Charity was smiling wanting to let her know she was playing, but would take any tidbit of information that might come in handy against her brother later.

“No. Sorry.” Millie looked away, towards the door Paul had walked out of minutes before, but suddenly turned back, “But, I would love to hear stories about him.” A small grin spread across Millie’s face.

A similar grin crossed Charity’s face as well, “Well, has he ever told you the story about the greased pig?”

Millie’s eyes grew three sizes as she said, “Greased pig? No.”

“Charity, Millie doesn’t want to hear about this. Besides, he was just a little boy.” Susan protested.

“Oh yes I do.” Milllie said with a smile, “this sounds good.”

Charity proceeded to tell Millie stories from Paul’s youth.

Dinner was unlike anything Millie had ever experienced. It was very casual. As soon as the food had been prayed for, and everyone picked up the plate or bowl closest to them and began passing the food around the table until everyone had what they wanted on their plate. Unlike the Anderson house which had servants serve you your meals on silver platters.

The stoneware plates had brush strokes depicting various flowers on each setting, suggesting they were in the same design, yet each one was unique. The flatware was a mix of different pieces a collection that probably took decades to gather. In the Anderson house, the china was selected for the event from the vast collection for various different occasions, with matching flatware and crystal goblets.

Everyone sat around the table laughing and talking it was a laid back, family dinner and not the proper meals that were served in the Anderson house.

Between the nine people in attendance, there must have been fifteen conversations going on between people and groups. And everyone was in every discussion it seemed like, well everyone except for Millie. Finally Susan Thomas leaned over to her and said, “Don’t be intimidated, but if you don’t jump into one of these, you might be lost for years to come.”

Millie closely observed talkfest Charity and Faith were talking about shopping for new clothes, yet Charity and James were also talking about a ski trip they had planned in the next few weeks. Susan and Savannah were talking about a movie the little girl wanted to see, and Peter was also talking to Susan about the dinner and how wonderful his grilling techniques were. Paul had CJ trying to talk to him about a kids TV show and he was talking to his father about church and work. It amazed Millie how each person could be in several conversations at the same time and not be lost. The Anderson’s dinners were quiet, no one talked unless asked a specific question by her parents. Millie wasn’t sure what she should do.

Paul saw her watching and listening. So, he reached out to pull her into the exchange with his father, “Yes, Millie could tell you more about that, she recently started attending the Virtual Bible Study.”

“Yes, they are very enlightening.” Millie offered.

“How so?” Peter Thomas asked, turning his full attention to Millie.

“Well, Paul has a way of describing something and even if I have heard it a hundred times, he brings something out that I’ve never thought of before. Like the other night, he was talking about the woman at the well. And he said that the woman came to the well at the hottest time of the day just to avoid all the people who would gossip about her. And I started thinking about some of...” Millie looked around the table and found that all the conversations had stopped and everyone was listening to her. Although her heart sped up, she closed her eyes and said a quick prayer of acceptance and understanding not to mention praying for confidence, she took a deep breath and continued, “well, some of my issues and fears. And I realized that if Jesus could do this for a woman who had sinned so much, and wash her clean, why couldn’t he help me?”

“That is very enlightening.” Susan said, “I believe that the Bible can provide many awakenings for a person’s life, and God shows us something new every time we read His word. Like a fresh word for the day.”

“Millie?” Charity leaned across the table to ask, like she was asking a big secret, “Paul won’t tell us, and it’s a common last name, but is Alexis Anderson related to you? Because you look so much alike!”

“Well, she’s my sister.”

“You mean the girl from the morning show?” James asked. Millie nodded as she took a bite of her baked potato.

“Wow! How does if feel to be the sister of someone famous?” Faith asked with eyes wide.

“Well, first of all, we don’t tell her she’s famous. She’s just Lexi to me. And I grew up with her. Besides, it’s hard to see the accomplishments of someone that is close to you because you see them differently.

The meal continued and the conversation flowed easily. Millie could not believe how at home she felt with everyone. Even Charity’s teasing did not hurt her. They welcomed her in and made her feel like one of the family. Once she got over her fears, it became one of the best dinners she had ever experienced.

After dinner and an intense card game of Spoons, Millie and Paul headed back to the city. Once they were safely in the car, Paul could not wait any longer. “So? What did you think?”

Millie reached over and took his hand that was resting on the arm rest between them. “You were right, they were very nice.” And even though Paul could not see her face, he knew she was smiling.

“Well, I’m glad you had a good time. Mama wants you to start coming over for Sunday lunch after church.”

“OK. I can do that, but I wasn’t planning on going to church yet. I don’t know if I can handle it.”

Paul looked over at her, he could barely see her face in the reflection of the console lights. “Millie, you already did once.”

She took a deep breath, “Yeah, and I handled it so well, that I left before it was over. I also got there late so I wouldn’t have to talk to anyone.”

“I understand, however last time you didn’t want me to see you. This time you’ll be sitting right next to me.”

“I know, but I’m not sure if I can yet,” Millie looked over at him, “please understand.”

“I do. I’m not going to make you do something. It must be your choice. But know,” Paul began stroking the back of Millie’s hand with his thumb, “Just know that I want you to do this and I’ll support you no matter what.”

Millie leaned over and placed a kiss softly on Paul’s cheek. “I know. And just know that I’m trying.”

Paul leaned his head towards Millie’s until it touched the side of her head which was resting on his shoulder. “I know Babe, I know.”

“Hey!” Millie said sitting up quickly. “Is the greased pig story true?”

“Um. Greased pi- pig?” Paul asked rather stiffly.

“Yeah, did you really catch a greased pig and try to hand it to your Mom?”

“Yes. But I was eight at the time and just so proud I caught it. Mama said she always wanted a pig and I thought she would like it. I didn’t know the grease would stain her new dress. And I definitely didn’t know that it would do that on her.”

By the end of his telling of the story, she was laughing almost as hard when she heard Charity and Susan tell the same story. Yeah, she would have to agree with them, Paul is a wonderful guy and full of surprises, “He will always keep you on your toes,” Susan had told her.