Chapter 15: Where There is Smoke There is Fire

After Shao Kahn's "death" by Liu Kang's fist, the Earthrealmers--along with Kitana and Jade--had returned to the Wu Shi Academy where Kung Lao was given a funeral. The remaining monks after the massacre had begun to rebuild their academy, but they still had a lot of work to do. The fighters were able to eat and rest, but needed to be up early the next day. Sadly they could not stay and mourn for long as Raiden needed for them to find and rejoin Sonya and Jax, he said he had another vision about a city, but wouldn't tell them for some odd reason.

After eating, many of the warriors retired to their rooms for the night, knowing they'd have to wake very early. Ember knew she should sleep, and she was tired, but she was looking for any reason to stay up. She was wary of the academy. Across from her bed, Kitana sat on her own, looking at her nails and not bothering to talk to her.

Ever since Kung Lao's funeral Kitana was acting distant. Of course, it was a funeral so obviously she would be sad, but it wasn't necessarily mourning for Kung Lao, it was more guilt. The princess kept quiet around Liu Kang, sending him apologetic glances during dinner, and preferred to stay in the room she shared with Jade and Ember than talk with the others.

"It wasn't your fault, Kitana." Ember stated, "Kung Lao wanted to fight."

Kitana sighed and leaned against the room's wall, "But if I hadn't been caught then there wouldn't have been need to fight." She saw the pointed look she was given and added, "I know it isn't completely my fault...but I feel like I contributed to it! I'm sure Liu Kang is upset with me too, I wonder if he blames me for Kung Lao."

"He's not mad at you." Ember said "He doesn't blame you for what happened, Liu Kang just lost his best friend--he needs some time. But you're not the problem, Kitana, don't worry."

The pyromancer huddled in her corner of the room and asked "What did you get caught for anyway?" A groan emitted from the princess as she placed a hand on her head, she was getting a head ache from just the thought of what she found in those flesh pits.

When the head ache subsided a bit, she explained "Shang Tsung has been making clones of me--mixing my blood with Tarkata. One called me sister and attacked me, when I confronted my fath--Shao Kahn about this...he approved." Her brown eyes averted to the floor boards, "Shao Kahn told me everything, about how I'm not his real daughter, and the clone was going to replace me after I was executed."

"Was your clone the woman wearing pink?"

"Which one?"

"There's not that many people in Outworld that wear pink." Ember dead panned. The princess forced a sad smile and nodded. "...I'm sorry, Kitana."

Kitana shook her head, the smile becoming a little more genuine, "There is no reason for apology, Ember. I needed to find out the truth to my past...it was going to happen eventually."

The door opened and Jade walked in, her green mask hanging around her neck. Sensing the somber atmosphere in the room, she sat on her own bed and removed her weapons from her person and sat them on a nearby table, "What's wrong?" She asked, green eyes flickering from Kitana to Ember. She frowned, "Ember, you look tired. Why don't you go sleep?"

Ember shook her head, "I'm fine." She stood up and walked to the door "I think I'm gonna see if there's any food left...who knows when the next time we'll get to eat is..." She mumbled as she went out into the hallway and started walking in the direction opposite to the kitchen and dining hall.

She wasn't hungry, she was tired, but didn't feel comfortable sleeping at the academy. Eventually Ember knew she would have to go to sleep. Hopefully walking around would help her relax. Even though it wasn't very late and not everyone was sleeping, Ember found herself treading silently over the floorboards of the dimly lit hallway.