Chapter 20: Blinded by Revenge

"That's it. Here goes nothing..." Jax announced, focusing on the computer screen. He glanced over his shoulder at the automated Sub-Zero, lying still on the table as cords attached him to the computer Jax was typing into.

Smoke approached the table, looking down at his friend. "You are certain this will work?" The former Lin Kuei asked, doubt creeping into his voice.

Jax scoffed. "Hell no! I've never done this before. It's not like there's a manual."

There was activity in the cyborg's mainframe, the several changes due to his rebooting were making tiny beeping noises. Curiously, Smoke peered over and looked his friend in the eyes. "Sub-Zero?" He called, hearing the beeps. When there was no response he looked away to Jax. "Can he hear me?"

The major shrugged, not looking away from the screen as he continued to type away. "He should." There was another beep as the cybernetic eyes scanned Smoke for a retinal identification.

"Sub-Zero?" Smoke tried again.

This time there was a response. "Yes, Smoke." Sub-Zero answered, moving his fingers.

Sub-Zero couldn't see it, but behind Smoke's mask the former Lin Kuei was smiling with relief.

"How do you feel?" Smoke asked as he moved to give his friend space to sit up. In response, Sub-Zero grunted in displeasure. "What is it?" The smile dropped and was replaced with concern.

"I remember..." Sub-Zero began, one hand balled into a fist. "The things I did for Shao Kahn...He cannot be allowed to merge the realms." The automated cyromancer added as Smoke placed a reassuring hand on his cold shoulder.

Nightwolf, one of the fighters for Earthrealm in the tournament on Shang Tsung's Island, turned to Raiden. "Haokah, how can Sub-Zero best help us?" Raiden, staring at the cyborg in question, crossed his arms with an air of uncertainty.

"I don't know. My attempts to alter future events have had negative consequences. Sub-Zero should have never undergone this transformation. Enlisting him may only further divert the flow of time."

Officer Stryker, who had been standing next to Kabal, had an idea. "We need intel, right?" Kabal and Nightwolf regarded this with a slight nod. "Let's send him back to Outworld, undercover."

"They will be unaware of my defection. I could deceive them." Sub-Zero interjected, wanting to help fight against Shao Kahn.

Raiden said nothing, considering this idea silently. The thunder god had messed just about everything up already, he didn't want to risk the future getting worse. Without waiting for an answer from Raiden, Sub-Zero moved to the edge of the table and put his feet on the cold floor of the base.

"I will prepare to return to Outworld. But first, I wish to speak with Ember." He scanned the room and the other warriors, looking for his sister, but didn't see her. "Where is she?" He added.

"Your sister is in her room, still recovering." Raiden answered, not wanting to tell the cyborg that she really didn't want to see him.

At this, Sub-Zero looked down and slowly clenched his other hand, feeling guilty. "I still wish to speak with her." He continued, remembering the grief-stricken look on her face when she saw him as he was now and when he attacked her.

He didn't ask for anyone to tell him where her room was, instead he carefully stood and left the room. As soon as Sub-Zero left and walked out into the hallway, he was lost.

He walked straight until he came to an intersection, then he looked to the left and to the right. He grunted, thinking it would've helped to ask where her room was.