✿ Day 3 (3)

✿ Day 3 (3)

True to her word, Mira helped Mrs. Chandra in the kitchen. Despite Yuv's mothers extremely aggravated protests, Mira made her way to the kitchen and with Keirna at her side, she sliced the tomatoes. Keirna was Mrs. Chandra's helper. Being paralyzed from waist down, it was hard for her to operate in the kitchen alone. Keirna was a young, beautiful dark-skinned woman. Long cascades of hair trailed around her back, curling around her waist.

"Dr. Yuv moved to Mrs. Chandra's place a couple days ago because his oven had caught on fire. Apparently, he was trying to cook and it didn't end well." Keirna explained, her nibble fingers deftly slicing the onions.

Mrs. Chandra laughed in the background. She was stirring a pot of roasted peanut rice. "I'm telling that boy to just quit everything and move in with us. He can't live alone until he gets himself a wife. She'll take care of that klutz."

Mira smiled and wondered what it is like to have such wonderful and doting parents. She never understood why children moved out, not when the parents were very much loving.

Mrs. Chandra stopped stirring. "Where are you from in India?"

"My parent are Bengali but we were settled in New Delhi."

"Apni Bangla bolte paren?" Do you speak Bengali? Mrs. Chandra asked her, with a hopeful expression.

"Ji, ekṭu bolte pari." Yes, just a little, Mira replied. A plum color entered her cheeks as removed a strand of hair from her face. "But not much, I lived in New Delhi my whole life. We didn't speak much Bengali there."

"What's your mother's name?"

At this part, Mira felt wry. She didn't want to share this bit of information. Just in-case Mrs. Chandra did know her parents. Her family didn't have a good reputation. Her mother and father had run away from home to marry. Her grandparents weren't particularly supportive of their marriage then. They still weren't.

Mrs. Chandra oblivious to Mira's reluctance, added the chopped chilies to the pot. Smoke rose in the kitchen. It stung the back of Mira's throat and made her eyes a bit watery. The smoke didn't effect Mrs. Chandra and Keirna. Maybe they were used to it.

Mrs. Chandra spun around and stared carefully at Mira. "You have a very familiar face. I can't really remember who it reminds me of but..."

"You say that about everyone." Keirna shook her head slowly. She had finished chopping the onions without a tear. On the other hand, Mira's cheeks were dripping with tears.

Mira hoped that Mrs. Chandra wasn't being serious. She didn't want to open any past wounds. In-case, Mrs. Chandra did know anyone related to her. It would be disastrous.

"I have a very typical face. I mean most Bengali look like me." Mira hoped that would draw away her attention.

"Nah," Mrs. Chandra clicked her tongue. "You have a very unique face."

Keirna dumped the chopped vegetable into the oil simmering on a pan. Mira set down the knife and breathed a sigh. She didn't particular enjoy the task of chopping.

"Mrs. Chandra. Give it a rest. You're probably mistaken" Keirna lifted the pan in the air, like a magician, she tossed the vegetables around.

"It's a small world, Keirna. You never know." Mrs. Chandra turned back to the rice pot.

"Could be." Keirna nodded in agreement. "Remember you thought the delivery man was your relative's son."

"Hey." Mrs. Chandra slapped her arm in aggravation. "They had a very close resemblance. I'll show you my nephew's picture. He looks exactly that."