✿Day 4

Day 4

Mira lay in bed, the midday sunlight streaming in through the window. She held a picture of her mother. She was a beautiful woman, tall, long flowing black hair, a small waist, bright eyes with a tarty smile. She held the photograph close to her chest, tears dripping down her face.

It had been seven years since she last saw her. Did her mother still think of her? She hoped she did. She missed her, she missed her so much. She would give anything to see her again, she was even willing to hear her sour remarks one more time, to have her hit her, to have her mock her every mistake.

These last few years, she had pinned all her hopes on Atul and his family. She had thought that once he confessed his undying love for her, she would be happy, so happy. All the world's happiness would be in her hands.

Now, all that Mira was left with was doubt, stirring deep inside her pit, a doubt so strong that Mira could literally feel it crawling off her skin. It was the worst feeling in the world, to hate oneself. There was nothing she could do about it.

Suddenly, there was a loud, clear knock on the front-door. Mira quickly wiped her tears. She muttered few curses under her breath as she got up from the bed. Even though her ankle was in a cast, it still hurt like hell when she moved.

Carefully shifting from the disorderly apartment, Mira finally made it to the door. The person she found standing on the other side of the door surprised her.

Pleasantly.

It was Eliana. She wore a burgundy suit, her small arms laden with plastic boxes. She smiled, hesitantly. "I brought soup."

Mira rolled her eyes, but stepped aside to let her in.

"I have a sprained ankle, not the flu." Mira closed the door, before turning to face Eliana. She stood there awkwardly, shuffling her feet stuck in high heels. "I would have preferred some pizza."

Eliana perked up. "I'll go get some." She set the plastic containers on the white shelf and ran to the door.

Mira grabbed her hand. "I was joking, man." She grabbed the containers and went to the kitchen. Eliana followed behind her like a lost puppy. The guilt was clear as daylight on her face. She was trying to make it up to her. Mira didn't think she needed to do anything. She had already forgiven her.

"Stop being so nice to me." Mira laughed, as she opened the containers. The smell of tomato soup drifted through the air. It was Mira's favorite soup. "It almost makes me suspicious."

Eliana didn't say anything. Mira snuck a glance at her face and realized why. She was crying. Eliana was full-blown sobbing, her face buried in her hands, blonde strands of hair scattered in every direction.

"Oh god." Mira sighed. "Eliana. Now don't tell me I'll have to share this soup with you. Because let me tell you're not getting a single drop."

Mira carefully sipped on the hot soup, watching Eliana cry her heart out. Droplets, like rain, stained the tiled kitchen floors. She held her emotions in for far too long, the gentle drizzle of rain continued pouring from eyes. Outside, the sky was brightest blue and the clouds were perfectly dosed in the sky.

It was a lazy afternoon, when two friends silently mended the cracks between their friendship.

✿✿✿

Eliana was nestled against Mira's shoulder. They sat on the sofa, a traditional best-friend rom-com running on the television. A large bag of veggie chips lay open in Mira's lap.