✿ Day 11 (1)

✿ Day 11 (1)

Mira had been dreading today's appointment since yesterday. She would be seeing Yudishter and they will be finalize the approach to the jaw reconstruction. She had opted for lower jaw reconstruction during the last time she was there which was a long time ago. It felt like it was another lifetime ago.

Mira stood outside Medic Clinic- the blue glass door sparkled in the early morning light. She took in a tensed breath. Her eyes scanning the bustling surroundings- patients were walking in and out. An old woman, leaning against a young girl, smiled at her. Mira tried smiling back.

But failed.

Why was she here? She touched her face gingerly, staring at the reflection in mirror. Why was she here?

She heard Yuv's voice somewhere by the reception. Focusing her gaze though the window, she saw him- talking to the beautiful receptionist-not the slightest of interest in his eyes.

He gave her a curt nod before turning towards the entrance door. This is when their gazes met. Mira was still standing outside, uncertainty clearly etched on her features. Few of her breaths hitched in her throat.

She felt strangely light-headed. The expression on Yuv's face softened. His lips barely curved upwards in a welcoming gesture. He strode towards the door- the staff cast him curious glances.

He reached for the door and held it open for her. "Ms. Shayma, we've been waiting for you."

✿✿✿

Mira sat on the exam table. A nurse stood by the door of examination room. She was close to Mira's age and wore light pink scrubs. She was busy on her phone which was good thing because Mira was sure she would get the wrong idea.

Yuv stood close to her- his fingers tenderly brushed away a strand of hair from her neck she had an urge to close her eyes. His thumb ran across her jaw. He was cold while she was feverishly warm.

His lips were drawn together in concentration, his eyes vacant, emotionless. Could he not see how he was affecting her? The proximity between their bodies was driving Mira insane. 

Tension was thickly laced in the air.

"We will be making an incision here." He traced a sharp line along her lower gum line. Mira swallowed painfully- she was sure that he didn't miss the action. "There's no need to be nervous. You'll be under anesthetics during the operation."

He had read her wrong.

Mira clenched the paper pressed on the exam table. "I'm not nervous."

He moved back swiftly, taking up the clipboard from the table. He sat down on the rotating chair. "You'll be placed under a liquid diet for a month- depending on how quickly you heal."

He flipped through pages, hastily scribbling words on the paper. "I'll be prescribing you few antibiotics. An extra-precaution I'd like to take in case any of the sutures develop infection. You can opt out of if you'd like."

"Whatever you think is right for me."

Instantly, he stopped writing. Yuv was gripping the pen so tightly that even his knuckles turned white. "Ms. Shayma as your doctor I can only advise you- not make decisions for you."

He gave her such deadly glare that Mira instantly regretted the words. She shrunk back into the exam table, until she could feel the coldness of the metal trays.

She held a fist close her chest. "But you're my friend too."

She didn't care if the nurse was watching them with a curious expression. She didn't care if he snapped at her this instant. She honestly didn't care about anything in that moment.

"My opinion remains the same."

Atleast, he didn't deny being her friend. She felt giddy at the mere thought, atleast. For some odd reason, she wanted to cry and laugh at the same. Maybe he had pitied her, maybe she was his route to redemption but even so, she thought of him as a good person.

She couldn't hate him even if she tried.

And maybe that is what love was.

She wished that Yuv would feel the same way. That he would forget about his bitter past. Funny, isn't it? After being broken so many times, Mira's faith in love remained ever so strong. She wasn't scared of loving. She plunged headfirst into every storm.

Yet she was scared of approaching him. She was brave enough to love. But she was scared to confess. She was scared of not seeing a reflection in the rose colored waters.

"Will you change your mind?" Yuv's eyes were hopeful. For the first time since she had arrived here, all façades had crumbled. He wasn't her doctor and she wasn't his patient.

She wanted to say, something- anything. "I'll think about it."

He rose from the chair and rounded the desk to where she sat.

"Please do."

Those were his last words before he exited. Leaving the coldness in his eyes sitting in her hands, a blaze of devastating storms following his path. The nurse watched her with curious eyes.

"Is he always like this?" Mira asked.

"No." The nurse smiled slightly. "He's very cheerful."

✿✿✿

Mira was heading out for lunch when she received a call. It was Mrs. Chandra, her voice was broken- trembling.

"Mira, I need to see you. It's urgent."

"Auntie, did something happen?"

"Just come home. "

.

.

.

.

Note: The response on the previous chapter was great. I wasn't expecting so many nice comments. Thank you. There are three more chapters left.