✿ Day 9 (2)

✿ Day 9 (2)

Atul leaned against the doorframe and watched Mira brush her teeth. Her hand and eye coordination were off so she had ended up dropping toothpaste all over the sink basin more than once. Eventually, he had to get the toothbrush ready and guide her wrist to her teeth.

She spit out the froth in the sink and grinned at him. "I'm done."

He pushed himself off the frame and headed towards her. "Okay. Let's clean your face now." He watched her with amusement as she propped herself onto the bathroom counter. She stuck out her chin.

"You want me to do it?"

She nodded, eagerly, almost like a child.

Smiling, he placed the white towel under the water before wiping the makeup off her face, carefully. When he noticed the black stains of mascara, his smile dropped. It was hard to remain happy, knowing about what she was going through and that the war still hadn't come to an end.

It was a very selfish thought but Atul didn't want her mother to make it. If she survived, Mira would still constantly guilt-trip herself and blame herself for the harsh conditions her mother was living in. She couldn't, no, she wouldn't abandon her mother no-matter what happened.

Maybe it was because she was her only family left.

Atul knew she had tried reconnecting with her grandparents but they wanted nothing to do with her. Her mother and father had gotten married without their permission. They belonged from different castes, her mother was a Brahmin (the priest class- highest class of all castes) and her father was a Dalit (the untouchables, the lowest caste).

If her mother no longer remained, maybe Mira would finally move on from the past. As of right now, there was a constant pull that was pushing her back towards India.

He carefully closed her eyelids, soft breaths tickling his skin, and wiped the smeared colors from her eyes. She was trapped in the past, the bitter words and cruel actions. They had been embodied by her.

It would be so much more easier to love Eliana. Mira was complicated, devastatingly broken, and heartbreakingly happy. How did she manage to see the light in this life was unknown to him?

The towel was stained with peach and golden. He dipped it into the basin of warm water, the colors left the cloth, swirling in the still water.

Lastly, he rid her lips of the dark maroon shade. She was looking at him with a curious expression. He carefully dapped the cloth on her lips, his eyebrows drawn together in concentration.

Mira began playing with his hair, twirling the strands between her thumb and forefinger. It was distracting but sweet. She mumbled once upon a dream which made cleaning her mouth a difficult task. He set the cloth aside and she grinned at him.

"Cuddle buddies?"

He chuckled while tying her hair into loose ponytail. She watched him with an expectant expression. "First you need to change, I'll get you something to wear."

She grabbed his hand. "No, I don't want to wear my clothes."

"Then what do you want to wear?"

With a sly smile, she pulled the ends of his shirt. "It's my favorite color."

He laughed, aware where this was headed. "And?"

"I want it!" She threw her hands around his collar. "Please?" Her feeble fingers traced the outline of the top-most button.