THREE | Knock, Knock

So now what? Do I kick him out? Do I listen to whatever he traveled all this way to say? Do I act like this doesn't matter to me? Now what?

"Anna, we need to talk" He spoke tiredly, like he had been on a mission for many days to come and find me.

Patrice stood there awkwardly, still holding open the front door, not knowing what to do. Finally, she showed him in and I went to wash my hands in the kitchen. Before bringing myself out I sighed and wiped my single tear. How could he just show up on my doorstep after all of this time? How did he even know where I lived? Too many things ran through my mind, but it wasn't time for me to talk, it was his turn. Every time something happened between us, I was always there to pick up the pieces, now he has to do it.

The girls and I had planned on staying up and watching movies, and eating junk food, because we were all off tomorrow, so we only had on our pajamas. How ironic that I only had on an old shirt from our high school that was very long and some panties. I positioned myself on the couch along with a glass of whine. I needed something much stronger but I needed to hear all he had to say as well. I set it on the coffee table and looked directly at him as we sat across from each other.

"I'm listening" I said folding my arms and looking at him intently, trying to read every intention he had.

"You uh.. you look good Anastasia.. Atlanta has done you well" he complimented.

"Thankyou" I said directly, waiting for him to get to the meat of this conversation.

He was right though, we had both grown up, and looked better than we did in high school. I was still a thicker girl, but I had evened out over the years. My hair was now down my back and it was still the burgundy color I had died it for my senior year. I had lost weight instead of gaining it in college and now that I'm in my twenties, it seems that everything I eat goes straight to my behind, so yes I did look good. He did as well though. It was hard trying to concentrate. He still had that perfect brown skin, but his voice grew much deeper and huskier. Derek's smile was always one to light up a room, but the one he gave as soon as he saw me, could light up the night. His stature was a fit 6'4 as he toppled over my 5'5 height. He was now a businessman seeing as he was dressed in a suit, yet his tie was no longer on and the top button was undone.

"Anna?" He snapped me from my thoughts.

"Huh?.. Oh right, talk, yeah.. I'm listening" I sipped my wine and admired the man he had become.

"So.. how've you been?"
"I'm fine Derek, get to what you came here for. You don't just show up on someone's doorstep after 5 years and ask how they're doing."

"You're right, you don't but I do. Look honestly, I just moved out here, and I remembered everything you said about how when you grew up you would move to Atlanta and become a Labor and Delivery Nurse like you always wanted... so I found the hospital you worked at through your grandmother and then I found you.."

"For what Derek? What do you want?" I grew annoyed. He was explaining this story of all the work he put in to find me but it was nothing compared to the work I put in to get over him.

"Anna look, I know you still have some animosity toward me, but I have apologized a million times. I am a better man now. I'm the man I wanted to be for you when we were 17.. just let me show you Anastasia, stop being so stubborn"

"Stubborn? Wow.. If I'm stubborn, it's because when you broke my heart, it never healed, you made me this way Derek. I was finally moving on and being somewhat happy. I was living my life!"

"Living your life? Do you realize you just said 'somewhat happy' meaning that you aren't happy but you're trying to act like you are. You aren't fooling me, but you're mad because all these years I fooled you. You thought I was so happy without you, you thought I lived a much better life being on my own without you by my side.. no Anna, I didn't. I missed you every damn day and it hurt like hell to let you go baby girl, I promise I never meant to hurt you but it was a sacrifice I had to make to get to where I am today" He explained.

I couldn't look him in the eye, I already had tears burning my eyeballs, but I refused to let him see me drop them. I never responded.

"Look, I'll go okay.. but I will be back tomorrow. I'm gonna take you out and we'll talk about everything okay?" he stood and looked to me one last time. "I love you Anastasia" he walked to the door and let himself out.

As soon as he was gone let them flow. Patrice came out of her room and ran into the living room to my side. She only held me as I cried out. Jessica burst through the front door with same look of amazement Patrice had.

"Did y'all see Derek?!.. oh yeah, you did" she hung up Toby's leash as he ran to me and jumped in my lap. She followed after him and sat on the other side of me on the couch, wrapping her arm around P and I. All my emotions were here once again.

"Well what did he say?" Patrice asked with as much hesitation as a yellow light.

I wiped my tears and released myself from their grasp, picking up Toby and carrying him under my arm. I grabbed my glass off on the coffee table and walked toward the kitchen. "He wants to take me out tomorrow."

"Well that's great A! Isn't that what you always wanted?" Jess asked, happy to see my life was once again looking up.

"Right, like he saw his mistake and now he wants you back.. I always knew Derek was smart" Patrice added.

The two sat on the couch going back and forth over how the rest of my life would pan out so perfectly now that he was back but I wasn't so sure. What if I didn't want him back? Why would I ever give him that power over me again? I'm sure there is only so much growth a person can make, and seeing as he dropped by, just knowing I would want to speak with him, doesn't show much change.

"Anna, come on, talk to us" Jess said aloud, her and Patrice took note of my deep thought as I sat in between the two again.

"I don't know y'all, I mean for real, why should I even let him in my life again? What if this turns into something else that just doesn't work out and I'm the one left broken hearted and alone, while he travels the world and finds some little blonde chick" I puffed out air at the thought.

"Look Anna, you've wanted this life for a long time.. it's who you are. You wanted the big house, great job, nice car, kids, and a wonderful marriage with the man of your dreams.. well knock knock the dream is at your front door." Patrice joked.

"I think she's right A, I mean how many dudes would go through all that trouble just to find a girl they dated in high school, only to let her down again." Jess added.

I smiled, thinking maybe Derek did want me back. Maybe he saw the light. Or maybe he had one too many drinks and finally got the courage to come and see me. I didn't know but I figured this could be what I've been waiting for.

"Girl we are 23, young, looking fine as hell, and making money.. If it doesn't work out, we are still young, looking fine as hell, and making money.. you can't live your life thinking about What If" Jessica lectured.

"At least go out with him tomorrow, see how things go. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out, but you at least know that you tried." P told me.

I listened to my girls and decided that I would go. I would listen to what he had to say but he would have to fight for me, fight for us, prove to me that I'm what he wants. It was only right.
"Okay, I'll go" I said softly. They squealed and hugged me and Toby barked to show his happiness as well.

Only god knew where this would go.

***

COMMENT & VOTE