SIX | Who dat?

Ana's ring in the MM.

***

"Marcus stop, not here, come on" I whined to him, as we rode the elevator up to my mom's hospital room.

"Girl if you only knew what you do to me" he spoke in my ear. I kissed his neck gently before letting go and walking out of the elevator as we arrived to the ninth floor.

The opening of the doors immediately changed my mood. I stepped out and stood there, watching. The smell of hospital danced into my airways and made it's way to my stomach, it was a smell I knew all too well being a RN but this floor was different than the maternity ward I'm used to. This was the cancer wing. Marcus sensed my hesitation and grabbed for my hand, squeezing it tight and bending down to kiss my cheek.

"I'm here baby, everything will be fine" he told me.

"Come on, she's probably up by now" I motioned for him to follow me as we headed down the hall. My mom had been in here for now a full year and she seemed to be getting better at one point in time, but now it's winning again. Though I lived in Atlanta, I flew home to Maryland once a month to come and spend some time with her. It wasn't enough to spend a three day weekend every month, but she never wanted me to drop my life and come be here. Mom was a fighter, all her life she fought. She fought for herself, and for me, from my dad to family to even some people who didn't believe in me. My mom was my rock and to think I was loosing her to Breast Cancer killed me. We came to room 931 and I knocked gently. "Knock Knock" I said, smiling at the sight behind the door. My mom was up and talking like normal, she had her hospital gown on and her head wrap of course because all of her hair was now gone. She still found a way to smile.

"Hey boo.. oh you look so beautiful, just glowing" her attention was drawn to me as I made my way in, soon she realized the hand I was holding behind me. "And you must be Marcus" she held her arms out for a hug "come on, bring it in."

He smiled and hugged her inside of her bed. "How are you today Ms."

"Oooh, respectful, call me mom baby, you'll be in the family sooner than it seems" we both blushed at her remark. Marcus sat in the chair opposite of the bed and I stood by his side with his arm wrapped around my waist. "You two look perfect together."

"She's the perfect one, I'm just here to make her look good" I smiled at him.

We all stood around talking about the wedding, plans for the future, and my mom's treatments. Everything was well, my mother seemed to love Marcus and he did very well at showing her just how much of a gentlemen he was. His phone rang and began to ignore the call. It was Tony, his agent. Marcus was in the middle of trading teams and Tony had to keep him in the loop.

"Go ahead baby"

"You sure?" I nodded and he kissed me. "I'll be right back, excuse me" he said to the room and made an exit to the hallway.

I came to my mother's bedside and held her hand. "How are you mommy? They taking care of you here?" She smiled at my curiosity and squeezed my hand.

"I am perfectly fine. I feel good in the morning and my medicine isn't keeping me up at night anymore"

"Good.. I see you got the flowers I sent you" I said walking over to the roses I sent her last week. "They need some water mommy, you didn't ask the nurses to-" I turned around and was cut off by shock. In the doorway stood Derek. He looked just as shocked to see me as I was to see him.

"W-What are you doing here?"

"Anna he comes to see me every week. He checks on me, talks to me. It's innocent. I promise" my mom explained.

"She doesn't need you to come here. She's fine" I snarled.

"Anastasia stop! Derek still cares. You all aren't together but he has a right to care. You two basically grew up together."

"Anna I'm sorry, I-I can come back later" he started. Just as he was about to speak again Marcus came in the room.

"I'm sorry about that mom, I'm in the middle of a trade, it's kind of hectic. What'd I miss baby?" He grabbed me into his arms as we leaned on the window sill behind us.

"Nothing baby, let's go" I grabbed my Celine bag off of the foot of my mother's bed with my left hand making sure my engagement ring was exposed.

"I'm sorry man, I don't think we met. I'm Marcus, Anastasia's fiance" he reached his hand out to meet Derek's. Derek didn't respond. He just stood there, with the same look I gave him two years ago when he did the same to me, only Marcus was rubbing his fine ass all up in Derek's face.

"Derek!" I snapped him out of some sort of trance that he shook away from.

"I'll come see you later ma" Derek spoke before rushing out of the room.

"What was that about?" Marcus asked. My mother and I both looked at each other.

"Come on baby.. mommy I'll come tomorrow and show you everything for the wedding." I kissed her cheek and hugged her. Marcus did the same and we soon exited the room, headed on our way to the rental car we had for the weekend.

***

"Anastasia come on, you literally take all day to get ready" Marcus yelled to me.

"Well get used to it" I laughed, exiting the bedroom of our suite and standing before him in my black midi dress that exposed my chest and my coke bottle shape. I topped it all off with nude christian louboutins that Marcus had bought me, and a nude clutch. I had curled my burgundy hair and done my makeup flawlessly, it was all just perfect.

"Do you want me to rape you Anna? Like is that your goal?"

I laughed to myself. "Boy you can wait five days."

"Just know after that honeymoon, you will be pregnant. I hope you ready for all that" he joked.

"Whatever man, you aint ready for no babies" I smiled. He pulled me in and held me tightly.

"I don't know baby, I might be.."

"Marcus you're serious?"

"Of course I am, I wouldn't tell you like this if I wasn't.. I think we could do it. We've been together for almost two years now. I trust you, I love you, I plan on loving you for the rest of my life baby, and I couldn't imagine having anyone else as the mother of my children." I let it sink in. The idea of having Marcus' child. Growing up I always believed I would have Derek's baby. I also believed I would marry Derek but that plan didn't work out either.

"Marcus I would love to but I don't want to end up being your regret baby, you got this trade going on, we don't know how well this next year will play out.. I want your child, I do but let's let it happen, not plan it."

He softened the mood with his smile. "Whatever you want baby. It's your world, i'm just living in it." He kissed my cheek before letting me go and grabbing the car keys "You ready to go?"

"Yeah, I just need to get my phone"

"Okay, Imma go get the car" he headed out of the door.

My phone had missed calls from the girls, and a few text from the wedding planner and my family that we would see tonight. One text from an unknown number.

+13017389393: Anna, it's Derek. We need to talk.

I ignored the message, locked my phone and headed out the door.

***

COMMENT & VOTE