ELEVEN | The Comeback Kid

THUD.

I heard it. "Marcus?... Hello?!" I yelled into the phone, I didn't know what the hell was happening. All I heard on the other end of the phone was his family calling out to him and asking if he was good.

"Anna sweetie?" I heard Ms.Renee on the other end of the phone finally. She was Marcus' aunt and the closest thing he ever had to a mother. Marcus was raised by her because his mom was a Marine and was always deployed, trying to make enough money to support her and Marcus without the help of his father. She retired when he turned 20, and about a month after he told her we were engaged, she passed away. It was sad that we never met, but I knew she was a wonderful woman just by the stories he would tell about her.

"Yes, I'm here.. Is Marcus okay?"

"Well it seems that whatever you said to him.. caused him to pass out.. He's waking up slowly"

I laughed to myself. Marcus was so damn dramatic. "Well is he okay?"

"Yeah, he seems fine.. Dare I ask what you told him?!" She said half jokingly.

"I uh-umm... I'm pregnant"

"Oh lord! Hallelujah! Another baby for the family. Ohhhh I can't wait, this is wonderful just wonderful" she jumped for joy on the other end.

My family began to motion me to come back and join the dinner party. I smiled signaling to give me a minute. "Ms.Renee, tell him to let me know when y'all finish dinner, okay? We need to talk."

"Oh of course baby, go enjoy, see you tomorrow" she ended the call and smiles escaped me.

I was on cloud nine, literally everything was just falling into place. I was beyond ecstatic. The night was filled with laughter, best wishes, and memories of my childhood. Everyone was so happy for me to finally be growing up and becoming the woman I always wanted to be. I was successful in my career as a Labor & Delivery RN, at one of the top hospitals in Atlanta. I had my money looking right. I was healthier than I had ever been, and I was glowing. I was asked a dozen times why I was so happy about tonight and what made me glow so brightly but decided to keep the baby news to myself until after the wedding. I didn't want anyone getting the wrong ideas about our unity.

As the night ended, I received a text from Marcus:

So you know your name in my phone is gonna be 'Baby Momma' now right?

I burst into laughter. He always knew has to put a smile on my face whether it be from a distance or right there next to me. I responded quickly:

Boy, I'm your wife first! Lol. Stop by the villa at midnight.

I didn't plan on seeing him because I still believed it was bad luck but we could at least hear the excitement in each other's voices and hold one another's hands. It was now 11:30 and everyone was preparing to leave. We had a long day tomorrow, but it was well worth it for my happily ever after. I could not stop smiling on my walk back down the beach to my villa. The sun was setting, the breeze was blowing, and the scent of ocean water filled the air. Coming closer to the villa, I noticed a figure sitting on the back porch just waiting. I immediately put my hands that were holding my nude loubotins and tried to run out of his view.

"Marcus you know you're not supposed to see me!" I squealed.

"I thought if I came around back, you wouldn't see me!" He defended while laughing at me. I ran in the villa and quickly shut the wicker door, separating us.

After we both calmed down, we sat with our backs to the door.

"When did you find out?" He asked me. I could hear the smile that he wore.