Medicine

A bit depressing. Read at own risk.

ARA'S POV

It was the morning after Allison and Leo got together, and Arly and I were extremely happy for her.

But, despite this, I could still feel a gaping, empty feeling in my heart where Adam used to be. I remembered what Arly had said about love at first sight, and realized that she had been right.

God, I was hurt.

I made my usual rounds before heading into the cafeteria to grab breakfast. Arly and Allison were still in the dorm getting ready, but today, I felt like I needed a few minutes of silence before the day officially started.

After I bit into my apple, I saw a girl with blonde hair heading my way with a tray. "I'm Caitlin. Who're you?" she asked, inviting herself to sit with me.

I looked down, kind of annoyed. "Ara."

"Hi Ara," she went on talkatively. "Do you know who Adam Davenport is?"

Oh wow. How perfect her timing was to bring this up. "No," I lied, trying to steer her away from the subject.

"How could you not? You go to school here, right?! Anyways, he's like, the hottest guy here. We're so going to get married someday."

I felt sick to my stomach. After almost a week of healing and now, here it was, crashing down around me again. I clutched my stomach as my heartbeat went faster. I started to breathe heavily.

Well hello, anxiety.

I looked up to see Allison and Arly walk into the cafeteria. As soon as Arly spotted Caitlin, her eyes went wide and she began hitting Alli and then pointed in our direction. Alli's facial expression went from smiling to the same as Arly's.

"Excuse me please," I told Caitlin as politely as possible.

"Hey! It's rude to leave me in the middle of a conversation!" she wailed, trying to grab my arm.

"Stop!" I snapped, and then marched away. Fighting tears, I shoved past my sisters and ran all the way to our dorm. I ran inside and locked the door behind me.

I hated everything. I hated life. I hated myself for letting myself get like this. I hated Chase for breaking me and Adam apart, my only salvation here beside my sisters.

I was making strange noises now because I was crying so hard. I stumbled around the dorm, looking for something to save me.

To kill me.

I found a medication bottle and tried to open it with blurry vision. My hands were trembling and my thoughts were scattered.

The damn thing wouldn't open.

I screamed in frustration.

Suddenly, I heard banging on the door. "Ara, open up right now!"

"No!" I yelled.

"Don't do this!" Allison shouted. It was the first time I'd ever heard her go full volume like that.

"I can't do this anymore!" I cried. "I don't want to do this anymore!"

"Do what?!" Arly asked.

My voice suddenly went to a whisper. "Live."

"That's it, I'm getting Adam," Allison declared, superspeeding away.

I could barely breathe because I was hyperventilating. I ripped the pill bottle open but sadly the pills flew out everywhere. "No!" I sobbed, crouching down. My hand-eye coordination was horrible as I searched blindly for some pills.

And then, the door was blown off its hinges. "Ara! Stop!" Adam shouted. He grabbed me by my waist and picked me up, taking me away from the pills.

"No!" I screamed at him, thrashing. "I want to die!"

A crowd had formed outside our dorm. In front was my sisters, clutching each other. "Ara...?"

I gave up and let my body go limp in Adam's arms. He urged Allison and Arly to come with us and he took me up to the mentor's headquarters. He laid me on the couch on my back and held my hand.

With tears in his eyes, he looked down at me. "Ara...why?"

I was forced to admit my feelings. "I miss you, Adam."

He stroked my face. "I'm here now. I'm here. Arly, Alli—could you give us a minute?"

Arly nodded. "Of course."

Adam sat me up and then sat next to me. "I want you to listen to me. Ara, you are, by far, the most beautiful girl I have ever met—and not just physically. When you're around, you help me think smarter, if that's even possible. You cheer me up. Your kisses mean the world to me. Please don't ever try that again."

I drew in a shaky breath. "I don't know what I was thinking," I admitted. "I just miss you."

Adam took a look around, as if looking for someone. He turned back to me, propped himself up, and then leaned forward.

It was the most passionate kiss I'd ever experienced. We soon found ourselves with me laying on my back and Adam planking over me. No, it wasn't sexual.

It was just really, really out of this world.

When we broke apart, Chase was at the door.

"Crap," I mumbled.

Adam sighed, looking at his brother. "How much did you see?"

"Enough to know that you're in huge trouble!" Chase snapped. "I told you to stay away from her and you didn't, so now, you're going to pay the consequences. I'm getting Davenport now."

Chase ran off.

I bit my lip. "Well...that's the end of that, I guess."

"I enjoyed it while it lasted," Adam smiled.

I got up to go shower and recuperate myself. "I'll see you in class."

"Hey," he said, grabbing my wrist. "Feel better. And take care of yourself, okay? I mean it. Do it for me."

I smiled meekly.

"I will."