Marcus's Wrath

BREE'S POV
When I woke up, all I remembered was that everyone was unconscious.

My head was lolled to one side and I was drooling a bit. My back was sore and my hips hurt. Everything hurt, actually.

And then he walked in; Marcus. I gritted my teeth. "What do you want with me?"

He did that stupid eyebrow thing. "Why would I tell you? I'm not an idiot like my father was. Or should I say-our father."

As I struggled against restraints, he stepped forward and tilted my chin up.

"You're only bait."

With that, he walked out of the room.

ARA'S POV
I geoleaped us all home after the battle. Luckily, Adam's chip hadn't been fried, but it came out pretty close to being so.

"Thank god you guys are okay," Davenport sighed, pulling us into a group hug. "Wait..."

Chase looked down. "Marcus took Bree."

"What?!" Davenport snapped angrily. "If he gets his greasy fingers all over my daughter..."

I clung on to Adam's side. "I'm so sorry..." I whispered to him. "I couldn't save her. I couldn't save you guys..."

"It's okay," he stroked my hair. "We're going to get her."

***

Rescue missions aren't easy. And as you saw how the last one unfolded, I was a bit shaky to go and face the enemy again. But this was what I'd come to this academy for in the first place, I kept reminding myself.

I had to do this. For Bree. She had been our first and only best friend. She was in danger because I had failed.

The morning of the rescue mission, we had to be ready before sunrise. Davenport was planning a sneak attack.

"Follow every part of this plan, you understand?" he instructed. "You hear me?"

We all nodded and Adam put his arm around me, bringing me closer. Ever since the first encounter with Marcus, he had been a lot more protective, which was a nice change.

"Let's get our sister back," Chase said, running for the transport that Davenport had lent to us.

Once in the transport, we went over the plan about ten billion times, and every possible scenario that there could be.

Well, I say that. We didn't think about this one.

Marcus had erected his father's old lair for his hideout, and it looked super creepy.

"Ah, memories," Adam sighed. "Hey Chase, remember when you almost ended up shredded?"

"Shut up," Chase hissed, elbowing him.

"Well, well, well. You seem to have noticed that you're missing a freak, huh?" Marcus sneered from a doorway. My head shot up to face him.

We all spread out into a threatening semi-circle. "Try to take down all of us," Arly taunted. "Now that we're more prepared."

"Oh, but first, it's story time," he smirked. "Try and see if you can guess where this one goes. Once upon a time, there were three little girls were in custody of a maniac who had one sister who thought she was their mom."

"I don't like where this is going," I shot.

"Listen!" he shouted. "But little did they know, one of them was an oddball."

"Marcus!"

"I said to shutup!" he ordered, electricity dancing between his fingertips. "One of them was created by accident in a test-tube. She was never meant to become who she is. She wasn't even meant to exist."