Chapter 8 - Thank You

The eerie silence was the first thing Akira had noticed when he awoke from his nap, then the heat of the orange sun caressing his skin through the thin fabric of his and Ruki's tent. He sighed softly and looked down to glance at Ruki sleeping atop of him. Somewhere nearby, he had discarded his jacket and pants to be only in his thin undershirt and boxers and covered up with the thin silk blanket of the sleeping pile, all while he still managed to stay upright in his chair. His small body rose and fell through his sleep and showed how he must have been having a nice dream. Akira felt happy butterflies in his stomach and couldn't help but to run his fingers through the bouncy blonde curls. He wasn't exactly sure when he fell asleep, but all he remembered was letting Ruki snuggle up to him as they dozed off. And now, somehow the imp managed to stay directly on top of him like he was a body pillow.

He had spent an hour or so trying to teach Akira as much as he could before the heat got to him and made him tired, therefore falling asleep in his lap. It wasn't like Akira minded of course, quite the actual opposite. It was adorable and cute and he had to thank the stars that Ruki couldn't read minds. Even though he wanted to lay like this forever he knew they were on borrowed time. Hesitantly he gently shook Ruki to wake him.

"Hey, Ruki. It's time to get up. Come on." Ruki sighed and tried to snuggle closer, the blanket over them falling off as a result. Akira smiles and hugs him closer. "Y'know if you don't get up... I'm gonna have to drop you."

That didn't even budge him much to the human's dismay. Ruki seemed unfazed by said petty threat and snuggles his face into Akira's shoulder.

"Hnnnnnnn," He mumbled incoherently. "No..."

Akira messes his hair and tries to shuffle him off his lap, but the imp clung tighter to keep them on the chair longer.

"Ruki, come on we have to go..."

"If you drop me, I will never kiss you again."

Oh God, there he goes again, being all adorable and shit. Akira hated it when he did that sometimes. Only sometimes. Akira scooped him up and stood tall off the chair, surprising the imp on his lap.

"Akira! What are- Mhh!"

Ruki gasped quietly as Akira's mouth met his in a slow kiss, albeit if innocent but strangely satisfying. Akira pulled back after a brief second and smothers him under a burning hot gaze.

"Hell be damned if I never get to taste those lips again," Akira said and hoisted him up closer to his face so their eyes could meet. "But enough of that. Are you awake now?"

Ruki gasped and shivered under the gaze of Akira's eyes, unable to look away from them. He was actually... Turned on?

"Yes, idiot," He grumbles and snuggles closer. "I'm up now..."

The blonde human nears closer to kiss him again but he was interrupted by their travelling partner.

"Guys! Are you okay?"

Yutaka's voice echoes around them and they both break away from their trance to awkwardly stay still for a moment.

"...Yeah," Akira finally says after a moment. "We're okay. Are you?"

He let's Ruki down and puts his shirt back on and his pants and watches with interest as the imp does the same with his head down.

"Yes, I am too. Come on, we best get going if we want to make it to the forest's edge by dusk, so start packing everything up."

"All right," they answered simultaneously to their surprise. Ruki looked at Akira incredulously and shivers before looking away.

"U-um... I thought you were gonna drop me for a second there..."