Chapter 5

Will Carter paid for the last of his drinks and staggering, walked towards the bar exit. It was almost eleven at night. His phone was still off - he didn't care about his girlfriend who probably was trying to call him. Anyways, since month, he's been about sure that she had betrayed him. To make matters worse, he's just been fired because of the son of a bitch (who, Will thought, was his best mate). He simply took his high-quality job from under Will's nose by buttering their boss up. Will swore at the mention of that situation.

Wanting to take a shortcut, he turned into a quite short, narrow street. Thoughtful and slightly drunk, he didn't notice a person standing alone at the wall on the other side of the street. Walking past them, he poked them with his shoulder.

"Watch where you're going, jerk," Will grunted, not really aware that, actually, he bumped into stranger.

And suddenly, he felt that someone held him against the wall in the blink of an eye and put a knife to his face. Will was too much dizzy to defend himself and the squeeze very strong. In the dim light of the street lamp he could see a tall man with shoulder-length, green hair. At first sight, he looked like a clown. He wore a purple shirt, patterned green tie and waistcoat, purple leather gloves, trousers and long coat (purple as well). His face was painted white, eyes black and mouth (with a part of his scarred cheeks) red. He looked like he was always smiling (and so he did - literally and lyrically, looking at Will).

"Well, I deserve an apology, don't you think? At last, it's not my fault that you hit me." He began, staring at terrified Will. "But don't worry, I'm not angry. C'mon, cheer up! You should smile and, please, don't be embittered, insult people, hm?" He said, his voice like a teacher's, when a child did something wrong. "We can always do something about it. Oh, maybe you don't like my scars? You know, if you want, I can tell you how I got them. It's a funny story. Once, being a kid, I was pouting all the time too. My friend didn't like that so much. One day, he told me he found a way for me to always keep smiling. So he took the knife, put it into my mouth like this." He did the same thing to Will. "And since that time, no one's seen my sour face!"

Two cuts. Will fell to the ground. The clown leaned over him.

"Ah, I'd forget! If you finally decide to say sorry, here's my card." He placed it next to choking on his own blood Will, and after this, he's gone, laughing so hard.

***

Guys, let me know what you think! :D