Chapter 9

Iza faced the facts that something terrible was going to happen in a while. Mentally, she was praying for a miracle but in fact, she didn't believe in that. She stopped her laugh. And what if she just provoked him to kill her? Iza thought about her parents, trying to tell them telepathically how much she loved them.

Meanwhile, Joker wasn't laughing any longer either and a wise smile has returned on his lips. He came closer to Iza; there was only half a meter between them. Then, took a knife out of his pocket. Iza evaluated her chances. In no time, she decided that she had none. Also, the clown was wondering about something. He gave her a once-over, still holding the knife. Next, came even closer with a grin.

"Good evening, beautiful." Saying this, he rubbed Iza's cheek. "Excuse me, I'm here without calling first but after your laugh, I may say you ain't angry at me."

Christ. Iza made a fool of herself in this psychopath's eyes. However, on balance she wasn't perfectly normal because a normal person doesn't laugh (standing in front of a psychopath) before their death. Ugh, her dark sense of humour didn't leave her even in moment like that. She had no idea if it would save her life or quite the opposite, she would die, anyways. Iza also didn't know if she should have answered anything. In a second, she decided better not to tease him as she tried to control her voice (not to sound trembling).

"It's ok. At the beginning, your steps downstairs only scared me a bit. Can I know what are you doing here?"

Yeah, it was ok, Mr Joker. Sit down, Iza would bring two cups of tea and some cookies in a while and then they would gossip. It was rather obvious he had come to murder her.

"They've just checked me out of the hospital so I thought it would be nice to visit anybody and make them happy." Joker waved his knife in Iza's face, winking.

So he had gotten gone from Arkham and started to look for next victims. Well, he has just set himself the simplest task.

"But I see you're already happy enough so I think I don't have to do this, do I?" After these words, Iza smirked, simultaneously, she felt the hope. "Better tell me where you from, sweetie."

Yeah, her accent. She was wondering if a lie was useful but it didn't make sense to her, actually.

"I'm Polish."

"Ah, Polish! I talked to a Polish girl once but she couldn't take a joke at all." Joker said, dissappointed. "But you're definitely not like her. Good taste." He pointed at her Queen T-shirt and purple hair. "And you enjoy laughing."

"Life shouldn't be taken seriously."

Yes, she was asking for a smile cut on her face, though.

Joker laughed hard.

"And smart, at that! Well, well, well. What's my lovely conversationalist's name? I'm Joker." Saying this, he bowed chivalrously and pecked Iza's hand.

Oh my God, what just happened?!

"Nice to meet you, I'm Izabela but my friends call me Iza."

Ah, so they were friends? She has just went out of her mind. Her conversationalist was the psychopathic clown with his pockets full of knives.

"Cute name. Like you." He grinned.

"Thanks, yours is nice too." Iza said quickly, right off the bat.

Horrified, she discovered that she stopped to feel uncomfortable in his presence. Joker, apparently, noticed that too because he smiled at her understandingly. Iza knew psychopaths were very intelligent and could read people's body language perfectly.

"So our little conversation was really nice but I gotta go. Duty calls! See ya, Iza, gonna visit you again for sure." Joker waved goodbye to her, then ran down the stairs in the blink of an eye. "Oh, I'm so ridiculously forgetful!" He stopped halfway, came upstairs again, took a Joker card out of his pocket and handed it to Iza. "Here's my card if you wanna call me." And he was gone.

Iza looked at the card. Then, heard a click of the back door. She ran to her room and looked out of the window. The lights in every house were off, empty around, except Joker running down the street. He was jumping like a child, holding the same knife in his hand. Iza was absolutely sure Joker was going to murder somebody that night.

***

Hi! I hope your back to school is (or maybe will be, my school year starts on 1st September)... tolerable! :) I'm here today with this another chapter, where you can see some of my specific version of The Joker. What do you guys think? Leave your comments below, please. :)