Chapter 10

Iza was sitting with Amy and Caroline in the living room. They were watching television together; one of stupefying American reality show for a while. Nothing interesting was on TV. Caroline took the remonte control from Amy and switched over to Gotham Local News. Iza sighed. It has just passed five days since her conversation with The Joker. Meanwhile, the clown murdered four people and still hasn't been caught by the police. The Secret Service was also powerless. Anxiety has been proliferating day by day all over the city (the police wanted even to close schools), however it wasn't publicised in international media. In one of the recording which, was sent to Gotham Television Station, Joker threatened if they would do it, he was going to blow Gotham up, beforehand doing his best to make all citizens smile. Wise smiles.

Iza didn't say a word about these incidents to her parents that's why she knew they just couldn't stand this situation. Amy suggested her a return to Poland but Iza sat tight stubbornly, saying she couldn't leave them right then, that the flight could be dangerous (it wasn't known whether the explosives weren't put under the airport or a plane), that she was an adult (her parents treated her like that) and it was her choice. So Amy desisted.

Iza had no idea what guided her when she said these words. She was looking back to her meeting with Joker. The card, which he gave her, she hid at the very bottom of her suitcase. She also remembered his words that, as he determined, would "visit her again for sure". But it just... didn't sound like a threat. Why was she thinking of the psychopath who enjoyed killing men, women and children?

Iza stood up from the couch quickly. Then, came to the kitchen, took beer out of the fridge and went upstairs. As she sat on her bed, she opened a can. She leaned against the wall, closing her eyes and swallowing a cold sip of the drink. What was wrong with her? Finally, she had to admit it.

Iza has become fascinated with him. Damn. Since she has seen him, she's been curious what his stage make-up covered. She wanted to know why he had those scars on his face. Also, he had to be extremely smart if he could escape from one of the best guarded building in the United States on his own.

She opened her eyes immediately. It was a murderer. A disturbed man. Insane. A madman who enjoyed killing and torturing people. He liked it so much, doing this, he was laughing with satisfaction, she was sure.

Iza covered her face. He would murder her right then, if he only wanted to. But he didn't do that. Why? Did he think she was his soulmate?

Iza laughed bitterly. Great, so she had an aptitude for becoming a serial killer. Well, she didn't understand a thing about it. She decided to go to sleep. But first she would go for a second can... A second and third, alternatively.

She woke up about four in the morning. So thirsty. Aha, beer began to be felt. Not turning on the light, Iza went to the bathroom and started to drink water straight from the tap. When she came back to her room, heard muffled sound of her phone. Iza found it under her pillow, picked it up and squinting, unlocked the screen. Yeah, only nine percent battery. She stood up, then (by manipulating the plug blindly) plugged the charger in. Next, when she wanted to lie down again, felt that she had touched something quite sharp placed on the bed table. And it hurt. Iza winced. Turned on the light. Her eyes were adapting to the hard light for a while. After a while, Iza boggled.

There was a purple rose on the bed table, also an envelope of the same color. With her shaky hands, Iza pick the flower up, and then smelled it. The sweet aroma filled her nostrils. She smiled involuntarily. For as long as she could remember, Iza has always loved receiving flowers, and this one was unusal. Finally, she opened the envelope and took a small sheet out of it. Next, started to read individual words written probably in a hurry (the letters were irregular).

"Just noticed you love purple like me. Hope that rose will catch you smiling. J. PS You shouldn't drink so much alcohol. :)"

She looked at the empty cans standing next to the bed. Then, laughed under her breath. Oh yeah, Mr Joker. You hit home.

***

Hope I'll also catch you smiling! ^^ Romantic Joker? Maybe just a little!