Chapter 9

"What do you mean Ryan Ross kissed you?" Spencer splutters, loudly.

"Shh!" Brendon pleads, casting a worried look round, but nobody in the yard seems to have heard. "You can't tell anybody, seriously. Not Brent or William or Jon, or anybody else. If it goes round we'll both get the shit kicked out of us, and anyway, I don't want him to think I'm making a big deal out of it because he might not have even thought about it since, and it might have been an accident so I can't make it seem like –"

"It doesn't sound like it was an accident to me," Spencer disagrees, still looking stunned. "I can't actually believe that he'd do that. He's like, the strangest kid I've ever met and he's never had a friend, as far as I can remember, so to actually kiss you – well. I don't know. I didn't know he was gay, either."

"Me neither," Brendon sighs, running a hand through his hair nervously. "But what am I going to do? It's going to be so awkward next time we see each other. Have you ever had that? You and somebody kiss and then don't talk about it, and then the first time you see each other afterwards it's really, really awkward, and –"

Spencer, who is looking over Brendon's shoulder, suddenly looks petrified. "No, I've never had that," he breathes, paling, "but I-I'm about to."

"What?" exclaims Brendon, surprised, and turns to see who Spencer is looking at.

It is, not all that surprisingly, none other than Jon Walker, who is walking through a crowd of kids from 8th grade towards them, looking as nervous as hell. Brendon whips back around to Spencer, mouth open. "You and Jon kissed? Why didn't you tell me sooner? What happened? Where did it happen? I can't believe --"

"Keep your voice down!" Spencer hisses, and then shakes his head, stepping warningly on Brendon's foot. "Uh. Hey, Jon."

"Hi," Jon replies, quietly, coming to a halt between Spencer and Brendon. He avoids Spencer's eye, scratching the back of his neck and instead looking towards Brendon. "How are you, Brendon?"

"Okay," Brendon replies, though he's far from it, really. "What about you?"

"I'm, um, good thanks," Jon shrugs, and glances at Spencer quickly, before looking away. "So. Uh. What were you guys talking about?"

"Music," Brendon lies, smoothly, and Spencer shoots him a grateful look. "We were just discussing our projects. What are you two doing for yours? Ryan and I aren't really far with ours, but we're getting there. I'm going to sing, and Ryan's going to play guitar – I'm not sure if it'll be acoustic or guitar, but probably acoustic – and he's going to write the lyrics, too, but nothing is definite yet so I'm not really sure how it'll end up. Can you play any instruments? You seem like the musician type, and –"

"I play bass, and a little bit of guitar," Jon replies, his eyebrows raised at the detailed answer. "I didn't know you could sing.

"I don't think I'm very good, but Ryan thinks I am," Brendon explains, cheeks burning at the thought of the compliment. Spencer makes a small, scoffing sound, and mutters, "He would."

Brendon glares at him, pointedly. "So, Spencer, what else were we talking about before Jon came, hmm? It's slipped my mind, but maybe you can tell him."

"We weren't talking about anything interesting," he says, hastily, nudging Brendon hard in the ribs with his elbow. "Anyway, we should probably head to History."

"Can I have a word with you, Spencer?" Jon asks, abruptly. "Um, in private? No offence or anything, Brendon."

"No offence taken," Brendon smiles, all too happy to leave them to it. After all, he can tell that once they're past the awkwardness, they'll probably confess their feelings for one another, and Brendon's hardly about to get in the way of that. He bids them both a quick goodbye, and heads to class.