Chapter 16

Brendon opens his eyes, and feels happy.

It takes him a few moments to work out why, exactly, but he soon realises that Ryan's arm is around his waist, and Ryan's face is buried into his back, and Ryan is in bed with him. He smiles, and turns around, so that he's facing Ryan. The boy is fast asleep, looking perfectly at peace with the world, and if Brendon wasn't so impatient and wide awake, he'd probably leave him in his slumber.

However, Brendon is impatient and wide awake and so he says, in a loud voice, "Hi!"

Ryan lets out a groan of protest, and buries his face into the pillow, grip tightening around Brendon's body. Brendon rolls his eyes. He's not used to people who can't wake up easily in the morning; it's such an alien concept to him. He sits up, stretches, and then glances at Ryan again.

"Morning!" he half-shouts, and then feels triumphant as Ryan lifts his head, blinking blearily. Brendon ducks down and presses an eager kiss upon Ryan's lips, causing Ryan to let out a surprised, groggy sound. Brendon pulls back. "How are you feeling?"

"Mmm, good," Ryan smiles, and then slowly sits up, stretching. "Really good, in fact."

Brendon notices that Ryan's hair is all tousled and lovely, and that he's looking all vulnerable and pretty, and he knows he can't be blamed for what happens next. He kisses Ryan, tenderly, and lets out a contended sigh. Ryan's arms slip around his bare waist, and the next thing they know, they're lying back down and kissing passionately, the atmosphere of the room getting more tense, strangely.

"God, Brendon," Ryan murmurs, as the kiss breaks for a moment to allow them both to breath. "I never, ever thought I'd. Well. I never thought I'd feel this way for anybody, so fast."

"Me neither," Brendon smiles, feeling unbelievably happy at the sentiment. "You're amazing, you know that?"

"Oh, shush," Ryan laughs, and pulls him back down against him, again, aiming for his mouth but ending up kissing his nose instead. He laughs, again, and meets his mouth this time. "Brendon?" he whispers, as Brendon takes to kissing his neck, instead. "I know that this is a bit soon, but. Um. I think that I --"

His confession is, much to Brendon's annoyance, interrupted by a heavy knocking on the door. He rolls his eyes, presses a quick kiss to Ryan's lips, murmurs, "One second", and then clambers off the bed. He quickly ties his dressing gown around him, and cautiously unlocks the door, expecting Jon or Spencer or some other random party goer who's just woken up.

What he doesn't expect to see, however, is his mom and Rodney.

"Um. Mom! W-what are you --?"

"Get out here right now, Brendon Boyd Urie," Mrs. Urie hisses, her voice shaking with anger. She grabs his arm and pulls him out of the room - which gives her a clear view of what's inside. She lets go of him, her eyes going wide, and her blue eyes flick from her son, to the obviously naked Ryan, and back to Brendon again.

She opens her mouth, and then closes it, looking beyond stunned. Rodney however, goes a strange red colour, looking between the boys with an almost comical speed. "Were you just in bed with another guy?"

Brendon tenses, feeling suddenly as though there's a large, blinding spotlight upon him. He'd been more worried about his parents coming home in the middle of the house probably being trashed, but now? That doesn't even matter. If he says yes, his mom might freak out. But if he says no, Ryan might freak out, and he'd lose everything.

He swallows, hard, and looks his mom straight in the eye.

"Yeah, I was," he admits, quietly. "Ryan and I are going out."