Chapter 25

It's strange, Brendon thinks, but he feels like he really doesn't belong in school, anymore.

He sits in Math, with Spencer at is side, and Ryan somewhere at the back of the class, and Mr. Dunn going on and on about imaginary numbers, and Timothy laughing with a friend in the corner - and he just feels so out of place. It's as though he's grown up over the past couple of days, with the suicide and the funeral and Rodney leaving and Ryan living with him - and now it feels like he's taken a step back in time, somehow.

It's not a good thing, either.

He finds everything so weird and catered for children; the way that that the teachers speak down to them; the way that everything is so structured and timetabled; the way that there's a clear hierarchy amongst the kids; the way that he can't be open about the fact that he's in love with a boy.

As he thinks this, he glances behind him, to see that Ryan is staring off into space, a faraway look on his face. He seems to notice Brendon watching him out of the corner of his eye, however, and meets his gaze. Brendon smiles, slightly, and Ryan smiles back, knowingly.

Brendon turns back to the front of the class.

Maybe he does feel awkward and out-of-place in high school. But at least he's got Ryan by his side, to weather the storm with him.

*

"What class have we got next?" Ryan asks, as the pair of them walk through the corridor. Brendon thinks for a moment, and then winces.

"P.E.," he sighs, heavily, and Ryan pulls a face. The boy is still bruised, the marks having faded to dull purple, but nobody has commented on it. Brendon had forgotten that people are actually scared to so much as talk to his boyfriend; the idea seems so alien to him, now, and he's ashamed of ever having been the same. "I don't want to go."

Ryan glances at him, a thoughtful expression on his face. "Well then. Let's not go."

"You're such a bad influence," Brendon laughs, rolling his eyes. "I dunno. There's not much else to do. We may as well --"

Before he knows what's happening, Ryan is pushing him backwards into the storeroom they're passing, and shutting the door behind him. He's wearing a small, playful smirk, as he backs Brendon against the wall, none too gently. Brendon raises his eyebrows, fighting back a smile.

Ryan takes off Brendon's new, red glasses, pockets them, and then kisses him, hard. Brendon smiles against his boyfriend's lips, and slips his arms around his waist, pulling their bodies closer. It's been far too long since they kissed, really kissed, that is - what with Ryan's problems recently, it's seemed a bit inappropriate to do.

But now, Ryan is tracing a trail of hot kisses down his neck, one of his hands slipping down to the front of Brendon's trousers, and Brendon has to bite his lip - hard - to stop himself from moaning. The last thing he wants is for anybody to hear them whilst they walk past.

"Thank you," Ryan murmurs, as he drops to his knees, hands moving to unbuckle Brendon's belt, "for putting up with me, these past few days."

"It's, um, f-fine," Brendon laughs, breathily, as Ryan manages to get his jeans and boxers halfway down his legs. "It's m-more than fine, you know it was no trouble or anything."

"Still," Ryan sighs, looking up at Brendon. He closes his fingers around Brendon's hardening cock, with a bright smile. "Thank you."

Brendon says nothing in reply, but instead grabs ontop the shelves of the storeroom for support, as Ryan takes him, deep, into his mouth. He can't believe how amazing everything about the boy feels; the velvet of his mouth around his cock, the way his hair falls into his eyes, the colour of his eyes, the softness of his voice, the tenderness of his expression - even his anger, at times. He just can't believe how hard he's fallen for his classmate, after all the drama they've been through.