Chapter 17

It's the most humiliating thing that's ever happened to him.

Brendon had been woken up by Rodney that morning, who was smirking smugly, and was told to get dressed and pack his school bag as quickly as possible. Brendon had done so, suspiciously, and then had found himself being hauled out of the house, and towards school, by Rodney himself.

Now he's walking through the school gates with the stupid man by his side, trying to avoid the questioning looks of his classmates. He has no idea what's going on, but he's taken a vow of silence when it comes to Rodney, and he's not about to ask. All he hopes is that he doesn't see Ryan, because he has no idea what Ryan will do to his mom's boyfriend.

Once they're inside the school building, Rodney stops, looking around. "Where's the school nurse?"

"Um. What?" Brendon asks, too surprised to keep himself from not talking. "Why?"

"Your mom and I decided you needed to go see her, so where is she?"

Brendon's eyes narrow. "I'm not going to see any nurse. There's nothing wrong with me."

"Then why can't you keep fucking still for two minutes?"

Brendon colours. He'd been tapping his thigh absently whilst they'd been talking, but he stops it. He can't actually believe this his mom has agreed to let him go to the school nurse about his ADHD. He guesses that it'd be free rather than if he went to the doctors, but his choice not to get treatment since he came off his medication has never been questioned before.

"I'm not going," he sighs, ignoring the weird looks he gets from a couple of passing jocks as they notice Rodney. "I'm going to class."

"If you walk away from me now, that cut on your cheek will be the least of your worries," Rodney threatens, quietly, and Brendon self-consciously rubs it, before wincing as it stings. He glares at the man, wondering if it's worth walking away, before realising that it's probably not, and shrugs. "Good. Now, lead the way."

Brendon sighs, heavily, but does so. The school nurse can hardly prescribe him anything, but she can probably recommend that he's put on something. He's going to refuse, though. He doesn't care how many times Rodney hits him with his belt; he's not going to turn into a vegetable again, for anything.

They reach the nurse's office within a couple of minutes, and Brendon hesitates. He's never met her before, and he has no idea if she's going to be sympathetic or apathetic. Rodney knocks, loudly, and the female call to come in is heard almost immediately. Brendon swallows, and then opens the door.

A woman looks up from her desk, where she's typing on her laptop, and smiles at him. "Hello. How can I help you both?"

"His mom and I need some advice about a condition he has," Rodney explained, and Brendon's startled by how charmingly he says it. He guesses that if the man was like that to his mom in the beginning, he can see why she didn't guess he'd end up being trouble. "Is it okay if we have a quick word with you?"

"Of course it is," she nods, and motions to the sofa in front of her. "Please, both of you, take a seat."

They both do so, Brendon taking care to be as far away from Rodney as possible. He thinks that the nurse notices this, as she frowns slightly, but she doesn't press it. She shuts her laptop, crosses one leg over the other, and smiles, cheerily. Brendon thinks she seems the approachable sort; kind, pretty and polite. He quite likes her. "What can I do for you, then?"

"Brendon, tell her about your condition," Rodney orders, and Brendon rolls his eyes. He doesn't need to be spoken to like he's five, let alone by Rodney. But the nurse is looking at him expectantly, so he sighs.