Chapter 11

Brendon wakes to somebody whispering his name and shaking his shoulder, softly.

He opens his eyes, and them immediately regrets regaining consciousness. Pain spreads through his body like wildfire, and he has to take a deep, calming breath to stop himself from screaming. His vision clears, after he blinks quickly against the pain, and focuses upon a face, looming above him.

It's Ryan, biting his lower lip, and looking concerned. Memories of the kisses and the blowjob wash over Brendon, and he sits up so quickly that he bangs into the other boy. He glances at the window to see the night sky, and gazes at Ryan with questioning eyes.

"It's nine," Ryan explains, softly. "Your phone is ringing, that's why I woke you."

Brendon blinks, realising that he can hear his ringtone going off, and he quickly fishes about in his jeans - that have been pulled back up, seemingly by Ryan - and answers it. "Hello?"

"Brendon, honey, where are you?" comes a worried, female voice, and Brendon winces. He'd completely forgot about his mom, and hadn't thought to let her know anything when contentedly going to sleep that morning.

"Um, I'm at Ryan's," he says, trying to sound as though everything is fine. "We're working on our music project. I forgot to ring, sorry."

"You're at Ryan's?" she repeats, sounding relieved. "You should have told me! Rodney and I have been worried --"

"Rodney hasn't been worried," Brendon cuts through her, rolling his eyes. "He's probably happy that I'm out of the house so that he can have you all to himself again. Mom, seriously, why is he even there? You know that you can do better; all you need to do is walk out of the house and you'll find a better man. I think --"

"I'm not about to discuss this over the phone with you," she sighs, tiredly, and Rodney's voice can be heard, angrily in the background. "Listen, honey, I'm going to have to go. Are you sleeping at Ryan's?"

"Am I sleeping at Ryan's?" Brendon echoes, looking over at the boy in question with a shy smile. It's a Saturday tomorrow, but he has no idea what might happen between them now; does Ryan regret what's happened? Is he going to close off again, and kick Brendon out? To his surprise, however, Ryan leans over and kisses Brendon's cheek, and then pulls back, nodding. "Yeah, I am."

Ryan beams - the first time that Brendon has ever seen him do so - and Brendon has to hang up before his mom can say goodbye, drop the phone somewhere, and lunge forward, pinning Ryan down on the bed and meeting his mouth in a clumsy, eager kiss.

Ryan laughs against it, his arms sliding comfortably around Brendon's waist, pulling their bodies even closer together. "You're staying over, then?" he asks, as Brendon rolls onto his side - wincing as he does so - curling his arm around Ryan's waist as they face each other.

"Yeah," Brendon replies, with a smile, so close to Ryan that their noses are almost brushing. Ryan grins, and tilts his head slightly so that he's kissing Brendon, again.

As his tongue presses against Brendon's, Brendon closes his eyes, and tries to work out why such a thing feels so damn amazing.

*

Lawrence sits down opposite him, looking miserable, his eyes upon anything else but Brendon. One of his cheeks hold a nasty bruise, and one of his wrists is sprained and supported by a bandage. He looks down at the drink he's ordered, and swills the straw miserably around the glass.

"Brendon," he says, in a quiet voice, and looks up at last through his dark blonde fringe. Brendon's insides tighten, nervously. He can guess what's coming, but that doesn't make it any easier. "We need to talk."