Chapter 25

Riley's POV

"Grace, could you come down here?" My mother said, an overly-fake and exaggerated sweetness prominent in her voice.

"Coming!" She yelled. Seconds later I heard footsteps running down the stairs, into the living room where my parents were situated.

"Grace, we have something to tell you." My mother spoke. "Don't worry, you're not in trouble." My mother told my sister after noticing her frightened face. "We actually have a present for you after we talk! Don't be scared, okay? Promise you'll be a big girl?"

"I promise." Eager to hear what my parents had to say, she started to bounce in place, an enormous smile appearing on her face.

Suddenly a gunshot was heard, and a frail body dropped to the floor.

I woke up to Ashton shaking me. I shot up and started taking short, quick breaths.

"Riley! What's wrong? You were screaming your heart out!" My shocked partners eyes filled with sadness and worry, he looked like he was about to break.

I pushed him away, my terrifying thoughts clouding my mind and immediately reached for my phone. I dialed their number and pressed my phone to my ear, listening to the intimidating ring, praying silently that they would pick up.

"Riley, who are you calling?" Ashton demanded.

When I didn't answer, he knew something was very wrong. He immediately grabbed the metal object out of my hand and held it out of reach for me.

"Riley..." Ashton whispered, fear clouding his orbs.

"Give it back!" I yelled.

"Riley, please... What happened?" Pleading, his voice cracked ever so slightly.

"Ashton, give me my phone!" I screamed, reaching out and trying to grab the object from his hands, but not succeeding.

"What happened?!" He yelled, his voice shaking.

"Can't you see that I don't need you to help me with anything?! Can't you get that through your thick skull?! Can't you see?! I don't need you!" I spat. Ashton blinked a few times, as if he needed time to process what I had just said. Then, his eyes turned glossy and he handed me my phone. He turned away, and walked out. Suddenly, a wave of regret hit me. I realized that I should not have yelled at him, but it was too late now.

"Mom?"

"Finally realized what's good for you?" I could hear the disgusting smirk on her face, which indicated that she knew, that I had broken.

"Did you kill Grace...?" I managed to choke out, patiently waiting for an answer.

"No." She said. A wave of relief hit me, only to be taken aback almost immediately. "Your father did." She sighed out of boredom.

"Why?"

"Originally we were going to just sell her, alive I mean, but then I realized she would be worth much more if we sold her dead to some cannibals."

"What...?" My mouth opened out of shock, as I waited for her to tell me that she was joking. But sadly, that time never came.

"You heard me." She simply said.

"You... you, monster!" Now I was furious, how could she do such a thing? To a person, much less her own daughter?

"We were going to do the same with you, but we needed someone to take care of the house." There was a pause, as if she was preparing me for some kind of big news. Then, it came. "I'm 4 months pregnant by the way." I could just imagine the disgusting smirk on her face, she knew exactly what she was doing. "It's a boy."