Break Up

The next morning at school, it was a chaotic mess amongst the seniors. Tears, screams, laughter, clapping, and other strange sounds echoed along the 4th floor, where the seniors controlled the land. I walked dejectedly into my seat, reminded that Hansol and I would be parted after around 20 days. He was already there, waiting for me and when our eyes met, he ran over and hugged me tightly.

"Mari, I-I don't know what we should do...Mari...Mari," he continued to repeat my name, grasping me tightly. "We can still make this work even if we're living across the country. Promise me, you can make this work with me!" He took me by the shoulder and stared at me intently.

I looked away.

"Mari!"

"No, it won't work. You know that." I patted his chest, above his heart. "You know that in here. I'm sorry Hansol, but we're never going to make this work."

"Mari, no it will work. We can buy plane tickets for the summer and visit each other, Mari it will work!"

"No Hansol. Stop. Listen to what you're saying. We're never going to have time to earn money for plane tickets. Video chatting is worthless. We can't go on further like this." I didn't understand why he couldn't see the truth. "Hansol, you don't understand. We have to break up." My voice faltered when I said the last two words and my eyes filled with tears.

"No we don't." He gritted his teeth. "No we don't."

I choked back a sob. "Hansol," I said as I hugged him tightly, memorizing the curves of his body. "Just remember that you were and are my everything."

That's how we broke up. Quite tragic and depressing. It gets even more melancholy when I heard from my parents who had heard from Hansol's parents who had heard from Stanford that Hansol had gone missing.